Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

How To Change Affiloblueprint Theme

PremiumMember
cat07
Trust:

How To Change Affiloblueprint Theme

Hi Everyone,

I've used the Affiloblueprint theme quite a few times for affiliate sites which has been great but I also used it on a site I did for my husband's small painting business.

It has actually been really successful in helping him gain new business and we were no.1 in Google for our main keywords. Suddenly we have been dropped from the rankings completely except our Google Places listing. Anyway because I've been using an old version on the Affiloblueprint theme and it is static, I'd like to try using a theme that includes a blog and can be updated with fresh content easily. I'm hoping that might help us get back in the rankings.

I have found a theme that is especially for small business but I have no idea where to start in regards to changing over the theme (I have never attempted to change a theme)

My questions are:

1.Obviously some of my pages will become posts with the new theme, so how will that work? Do I just keep the same permalinks?

2.I have come across a plugin called P2P converter, should I use this?

3.Would I have to do any redirects?

4.Will any of my links be affected?

5.Would my rankings drop after installing a new theme (assuming I was ranking well anyway)

I realise these are a lot of questions but I've never used anything but the Affilorama theme and I'm not as tech savvy as some of you guys. So if anyone can give me some tips in step by step language it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Catherine
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
actually, you can just install the new theme, and use the P2P converter to change any pages to posts that you want. a lot of it will be learning how the new theme work.s

that being said, your theme really has nothing to do with your rankings in google. The recent updates with the google algorithm are the main culprit of your problems. switching to a blog wont really affect that very much. what will is building new links to your site, and looking for high quality links rather than low quality links from content farms.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

PremiumMember
cat07
Trust:
Thanks for the reply James,

In regards to changing the theme is it just a matter of uploading the new theme with Filezilla, then deactivating the Affiloblueprint theme and activating the new theme, or can this now be done from the wordpress dashboard without using Filezilla.

I don't know why the Google algorithm change would affect a small site like mine. I wrote all original content and included informative pages such as Choosing Interior Paint Colours, Wallpaper, Special Finishes etc. I had submitted a lot of articles to Ezine, Go Articles, Article Base, Article Dashboard and Article Alley just to name a few. The articles were all different, no duplicate content and all submitted manually. I've built Hub Pages and Squidoo lenses as well as Social bookmarking. I've also done blog commenting. The site is listed on numerous local business directories.

I have read that ezine articles has been affected quite heavily because of this algorithm change, I wonder if this has something to do with my rankings since I do have quite a few links from them. I wonder if this will have any affect on people using AMA or UAW.

I can't understand why this algorithm change would have affected me but I've noticed that a lot of large paint directory type sites are now on the 1st and 2nd page. It seems as though they have pushed off all the smaller sites.

What kind off backlinking would you suggest I do to get us back on the first page. This drop from Google is obviously affecting our income and I'm desperate to get us back there.

Thanks,
Catherine
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Guys,
Yes the latest Google algo shake up hurt Ezine and they are taking measures to bring back some of the lost traffic.
I found this article quite interesting from HOBO seo..
http://www.hobo-web.co.uk/seo-blog/google-nuke/

and also one from Web Pro News..
http://www.webpronews.com/2011/03/04/go ... -possible/

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
cat07
Trust:
Thanks Troy,

That is interesting reading but it doesn't really help me much. Competing against directories in our niche is what I'm up against now, so the Google "Panda" algorithm update has had a negative affect for us. The only thing I can think of is changing my static site to one that incorporates a blog for fresh content. I don't even know if that will work but it's a step in the right direction I think. I think it will give me more control.

So if anyone can tell me how to change the theme I'd really appreciate it. Is it just a matter of uploading the new theme with Filezilla, then deactivating the Affiloblueprint theme and activating the new theme, or can this now be done from the wordpress dashboard without using Filezilla. And once I have the new theme I assume I download the P2P converter plugin and all should be good?

Thanks for any advice,
Catherine
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Catherine,
You can change themes within the wordpress admin area under appearance and install themes.
If you have the .zip file from another theme you can upload the .zip file to wordpress directly in the admin area.
Keep in mind when you do change to another theme some of your layout and content may change positions as well.
Not sure if that helps.

Regards
Troy

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
cat07
Trust:
Thanks Troy,

Yes I have a copy of all my content and where links are etc so should be OK.

I assume I just install it right over the top of the Affiloblueprint Theme and I'll have to use a p2p plugin to convert pages to posts. I hope the plugin is fairly straight forward.

I'm just confused about the permalinks. Won't they have a different address now that they are posts and need to be redirected. Sorry I'm just not getting that part of it.

Thanks,
Catherine
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Catherine,
I am not that savvy with wordpress permalinks and structure as I get an outsourcer to do my sites but hopefully this helps.
I hope it doesn't confuse you at all, if so I do apologize.
http://www.homebizpal.com/blogging/word ... ermalinks/
and
http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks

or someone else here might enter into the conversation.

Regards
Troy

-- Robert Brault

johnalbrett
Trust:
First of all, I agree with James in that it is highly unlikely that changing your theme will improve your ranking in Google.

Have you updated to the latest version of Affilotheme; version 3.0?
This offers many more features plus it would mean you have little, if anything, to change on your site. You may also find that your theme is not static at all; it just appears that way. If your articles are appearing in the side-bar then it is highly likely that they are posts as pages don’t appear in the side-bar. Check your Read Settings and you may find that that it is set to posts. As you add new posts the Affilotheme automatically adds them to the side-bar in reverse chronological order whereas pages don’t show on the side-bar at all unless you manually create a link for them.

What is your permalink structure?
Are you using the default; i.e. yourblog.com/?p=nnn or are you using ‘pretty links’?
Whenever I create a blog I always create at least one category and then set my permalinks to /%category%/%postname%/ and then it doesn’t matter how I restructure my blog after that. If you want to change your permalinks this can be tricky for your existing posts as they are set in the database but Dan Lee has a WordPress plug-in that can help you to change your permalinks. Be careful with permalinks as I have learned this one the hard way.

Are your links affiliate links?
If you have used the Affiliate Redirect feature of the Affilotheme; i.e. yourblog.com/go/yourproduct, then this will definitely affect your links

I don’t believe that your rankings will drop after changing the theme but it won’t improve them either unless you are changing to a theme such as Frugal or Atahualpa which include SEO and you are not already using a SEO plugin.

What plug-ins are you using?
Are you using All-In-One SEO? Are you using XML sightmaps? Are you using Google Analytics to see where your traffic is coming from? The reason I ask this is that you can get the Google spiders to crawl your site again just by editing a one of your posts or all of them. Change a word in the description, optimise your description, edit a meta-tag, add a keyword, change a word in your post. When you press the update button on your post, this updates the sitemap which notifies Google to visit your site again.

James and Troy are right when they say that the new algorithm implemented by Google may have affected your ranking. The way to check is to see if your ranking in Yahoo or Bing has changed. If not then it is highly likely that your on page SEO is fine but you may have to review your back-linking strategy for Google. As you are a Premium member the Premium tools may assist you here as may Traffic Travis.

Where is your site or sites hosted?
The reason I ask is that as a Premium member you have a hosting option and if the site is hosted by Affilorama then one of their brilliant engineers, like Mike A, may help you with this. They can update the Affilotheme for you and probably run a backup to ensure that everything is safe.

If you do this yourself; install the new theme. You’re right, you can do this using Filezilla to upload it however check first to see if you can add the theme without having to upload; for example, let’s say you wanted to add the Atahualpa theme; just select “Add Theme” and then search for the name Atahualpa. WordPress will find this and ask you if you wish to install it. Select install. Once installed it is just a matter of activating it.

I am unsure about your sites as you have not provided any links but may I offer a few suggestions that may help your ranking without having to change your theme. I did do a quick search and found your best monster dolls site; my granddaughter would love those as she’s not really into Barbie. Anyway, I digress. Have you considered adding lead capture to your site?

The reason I say this is that it appears to me that your monster doll site has lost its Google ranking but you have maintained your ranking in Yahoo and Bing so this says to me that your on-page SEO is still okay. You can leverage your ranking with Yahoo and Bing to build a list of subscribers or leads, build a relationship, turn the leads into customers, turn the customers into repeat customers or clients plus you can use your newsletters to link to your blog posts; this can improve your ranking as your traffic to your blog posts is coming from Google, Yahoo and Microsoft as these are the major email service providers.

In regard to your doll niche (assuming I have this right), this is a niche that would be well suited to the viral nature of FaceBook. How? Create a FaceBook business page and link it to your site and vice versa. Add a like button to your posts. Turn on comments but link the comments to FaceBook; i.e. to make a comment a visitor logs in using their FaceBook profile and the comment goes on their wall as well as your blog post. Your niche is well suited to FaceBook; FaceBook activity will help you rank in Google and the viral nature of FaceBook will help your business to grow.

In summary, I’d suggest not rushing into changing the theme as Affilotheme version 3.0 has many features well suited to affiliate marketers. And as James and Troy have said, I don’t believe that changing the theme will improve your ranking with Google.

If the Affilorama support team aren’t able to help you upgrade or change your theme because it is hosted somewhere else then look at Affilorama Services as you may find someone who can help you there; possibly James or Troy.

I hope find these ideas and tips useful.

Cheers,
John
John Albrett
Director
Orinoco Limited
[email protected]

PremiumMember
cat07
Trust:
Hi John,

Thanks so much for your very detailed reply.

I am not using this particular site as an affiliate site. I built it for my husband's painting business. The problem is it is an old version of the Affiloblueprint theme when we were taught to use pages only not posts. From what I've read on the forum there have been no updated videos for this new theme as yet. I havn't actually used the 3.0 theme.

I think the Affiloblueprint theme is good for affiliate sites but I have found a theme that is specifically for small business and has a built in contact form, a find us page with google maps and the ability to use widgets among other things. It allows me to have a static home page and others as well as a blog so for our business it is perfect.

Whilst changing the theme probably won't help in my rankings, it will help me update my content regularly which can't hurt.

As far as why I've slipped I can't really tell. I've lost my ranking in Google, Yahoo and Bing for my main keyword when searching in Australia but if I search on all 3 search engines on the web in general (not Australia), I'm still on the 1st page. I can still be found for other keywords on the first page just not my main most important keyword which just so happens to be our main way of attracting clients.

Anyway I appreciate your reply and will take your advise into consideration for my doll affiliate website which I must admit I havn't done much on since Christmas however I do have a Facebook Fan Page but I'm not using it in the way you suggested which is a great idea. Once again I'm still using an old version of the Afilloblueprint theme that uses pages and not posts so I really will have to change that as I'm very limited. I know that having the ability to use posts would be ideal for my doll niche as new products are added to the range all the time. I've been waiting for the new instruction videos to become available before I attempted to upgrade but that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon.

Thanks,
Catherine
johnalbrett
Trust:
Hi Catherine,

I asked Support that same question and there is nothing per sé but I did get a useful link from Michelle which, basically, answers user questions: https://www.affilorama.com/support/our-p ... ffilotheme

Michelle also said if I couldn't find the answer I was looking for then just ask Support. I have found the above link answered most of my questions. The new Affilotheme is much like the Transformers; there's more than meets the eye.

Just a quick one regarding Google rankings and Blog posts. Have an article or a post that you can continually add content to; say something that you can build over time just by adding 100 words at a time. This will tell Google to regularly visit your site as it is regularly updated (XML Sitemap will tell it to do that anyway). Build the article up to over a thousand words using about 1 to 3% keyword density (don't overdo the keywords); Google actually likes long articles; a 1000 word article will rank higher than a 200 word article.

Let me know when your doll site is back in action again.

Cheers,
John
John Albrett
Director
Orinoco Limited
[email protected]

surveyguy11
Trust:
Hi everyone, I am relatively new to this. And I was thinking about purchasing affiloblueprint butI`m still not quite sure about it. Anyone has any tips?
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
nbguy wrote:Hi everyone, I am relatively new to this. And I was thinking about purchasing affiloblueprint butI`m still not quite sure about it. Anyone has any tips?

Welcome to the forum, Nbguy! :)

If you have a question that is not on topic, please create a new thread for it. Otherwise your question is just going to get buried here or will hinder discussion on the current topic :(

To create a new topic, follow the instructions on this page: How do I post on the Affilorama forum?

To answer your question, you would find some feedback on these threads:

Affiloblueprint - should I still buy?

I Did AffiloBlueprint for One Year

Affiloblueprint versus AffiloJetpack

Hope that helps!
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

This topic was started on Mar 05, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.