Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Information About Redirects

hunny042
Trust:

Information About Redirects

Hi everyone!

I have purchased a few domain names (all actively searched keywords) and have redirected them to my original website. I've checked the redirects and they are all "search engine friendly".

All of the keywords used as the domain names are relevant to my website content, but I am wondering how to optimize the redirected pages, if at all possible, so they rank in the search engines.

I would assume that if someone types in "weight loss" and my domain name is www.weightloss.com (just an example) that it would rank highly eventually.

Thanks for any input!
Suzanne
jeremyg
Trust:
Suzanne,

There are said to be over 120 factors that various SEs look for when determining where your website will appear in the rankings for a particular keyword/phrase.

Having a domain name with the keyphrase you are trying to target is one of those factors.

You state that you are "wondering how to optimize the redirected pages". This is a bit of a contradictory statement because a redirect by its very nature is not SE friendly! what is called a "301 redirect" is the friendliest redirect, but no redirect passes all of the redirected URLs ranking power.

So, in my opinion, you would be best to optimize every individual domain for a different keyphrase and link into to your "mother" domain/website from all of these.

How do you optimise a website to rank? That's the million dollar question! This exact question has bred a multimillion dollar industry. Only the engineers from the varying SEs can answer this question fully, but here are a few main factors:

High quality content
Links from popular, related websites
your <title> tag
frequent updates
logical website structure

Nailing these factors will put you on track but i would encourage you to research the area of SEO more using affilorama and google.

regards,

Jeremy G
hunny042
Trust:
I have done my on-page SEO, have about 40-50 articles on various sites linking back to my home page and internal pages (and more are added every day), the title tags for my pages are all actively searched keywords, outsourced most of my content and it's pretty decent and certainly not duplicate content.

So, I'm right back where I started. Going to go over the SEO section again tonight for the heck of it to see if I missed anything.

Thanks again!
Suzanne
jeremyg
Trust:
Unfortunately time can be a factor as well

The more quality links you have coming in from independent sources (different ip blocks, servers, domain names, owners, countries... etc) the more "authoritative" google will see your site, and you should find that your listings appear faster. I would recommend building up your link numbers from other websites. Try some of the techniques i posted in this thread seo/another-getting-indexed-question-t3248.html.

This topic was started on Jun 01, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.