Looking for a program to promote? Found a product but not sure if it is any good? Discuss anything on programs and affiliate networks here.

Puzzled by hop redirection on Mark's websites

pbamarketing
Trust:

Puzzled by hop redirection on Mark's websites

I've noticed that when clicking on an affiliate link at www.wowblackbook.com (eg zygorguides) the link initially connects to a php page within the domain, but then redirects to the affiliate website. The url at the affilate website then terminates with hop=enterid, appearing as if there is no affilate ID. What is actually happening here?
faradina
Trust:
You do not see the affiliate ID because that's how the merchant Zygor Guides set up their website
pbamarketing
Trust:
So is it necessary to first create the php pages I see in the link?
bizbop
Trust:
I do redirects on all of my links its not hard. just google php redirect and you'll get your answer.

Also I heard that clickbank won't give you credit for any sales made from affiliate links embedded in images. So the way to get around this is to do a redirect. Plus I think it looks better "yoursite.com/loves/youroffer" over "2131sjosfwiej.hop.clickbank.net".

maybe a mod can tell what they do for images these days?
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
I'm pretty sure that there's no problem with affiliate links and images. A link is a link, regardless of whether it wraps around text or an image. I don't even see how ClickBank would know which one you're using.

And this got me for so long.... one of Mark's clickbank IDs is "enterid". Hah! For so long I thought he'd forgotten to put his affiliate ID in there, just like you did.

Redirects are a good thing. They hide your nasty affiliate links (which are even nastier now that clickbank have included that encoding thing) and let you include friendlier URLs in your newsletters etc.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

This topic was started on Jan 13, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.