Looking for a program to promote? Found a product but not sure if it is any good? Discuss anything on programs and affiliate networks here.

Is Creating Lots of Average Websites Sustainable?

pbyservices
Trust:

Is Creating Lots of Average Websites Sustainable?

Hello,

I've been hanging out on the Affilorama video sections for several days now. I'd like to pose a question in regards to Mark Ling's World or Warcraft website example he used in a video. (http://wowblackbook.com)

Here's my confusion- the keywords targeted by this website do not receive a substantial amount of traffic according to the Google Adwords keyword tool.

On compete.com, the estimated traffic ranges from appx. 300 to 1000 visitors per month.
http://siteanalytics.compete.com/wowblackbook.com/

Main Questions:

1) I've been in internet marketing since 2009, and have a website that gets 8000 visitors a month and makes $300 per month. Yes, my methods for converting that traffic may not be great (glad I'm here), but could the conversion rate for his website be so much better that it makes $2500 per month (I believe that was the quoted earnings).

2) How can average content be sustainable in the long term? I made a fitness equipment review website with top-notch content. I actually worked with equipment manufacturers to get samples sent to my home which I reviewed on video with professional narration, a great review write-up, pictures and more. That website got crushed in the Google Penguin. If that type of content can't win, then why would this?

I'm reluctant to build a website like that because I've built those kinds before. Google eventually punished all of them even though I follow safe link building practices (generous anchor text variation, timed out link building, no keyword stuffing, etc).

3) Most of the websites I sent links to got hit in the Google updates this year. Iv'e found that getting some links from Ezine and whatnot just simply won't cut it.

I'm of the mentality now that the only long-term success will be achieved through creating "legacy" sites- your best work- sites that are amazingly helpful, innovative and unique (Like Affilorama for example).

Can someone convince me otherwise? Can creating websites like WowBlackBook generate the income that Mark Ling quotes?

Thanks
Preston
pbyservices
Trust:
Anyone?

For those who have built these types of websites, how has Penguin affected you?
pbyservices
Trust:
1) Only high quality, "legacy" websites that become your pride & joy (thriving social community, top-notch content with a unique spin, collaboration and communication with other players in your field) will succeed in the long term.
kurt
Trust:
I'm a newbie, and can't say that I've built any sites yet. However, I do recall Mark Ling saying somewhere that his sites were not effected by the google penguin update. I don't know for sure, but I think he said it was because his sites were authority sites that have like thirty or more articles. So they have lots of content and each article is targeting different keywords. But, I would also like to know if that's the only thing he's doing different from other people that's keeping his sites from being effected by the google updates.

Are you sure his wowblackbook website is making $2500 per month because that's not what I heard. I thought it was like $500 per month from google traffic and like three or four hundred more from ads. Part of Marks method though is that he makes many of these authority sites in different niches, so I don't think he's trying to necessarily make a huge amount of money from any one site.

I heard somewhere that 2 sells out of hundred is about average, so if your site is getting 8000 visitors a month, I think that should equal out to around 160 sells, if you're doing about average. But that may not always be the case. It probably depends on the market and other factors.

Btw, I also have a similiar post on this forum. while pbyservices here is specifically asking about Mark Lings sites and wondering how they supposedly aren't affected by google updates, I am also curious about these small five page sites that the Consumer Wealth System teaches us how to build. Consumer Wealth system is not one of Mark's programs but he did recommend it. I just can't imagine he would recommend it if the sites you build with that system were effected by google updates.

So when you guys are done answering his questions here, feel free to jump on over to my related post and answer it too. :) It is titled "Are Consumer Wealth System sites effected by google changes?"

This topic was started on Jun 06, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.