Looking for a program to promote? Found a product but not sure if it is any good? Discuss anything on programs and affiliate networks here.

FTC regulations and banner ads

mandywa
Trust:

FTC regulations and banner ads

Hi there

I have some articles on my site that are NOT review articles. I would like to place an affiliate banner ad within the article. The articles ARE directly related to the same topic as the affiliate program I am promoting.

I have not used or purchased the product that I'm promoting in the banner ad, although I do know it's awesome and has had great feedback. So due to this, I didn't want to straight out recommend it.

So I thought, if I place a banner ad within the article should I place an affiliate disclosure link under the banner ad?
Such as "Affiliate Ad" and it links to my affiliate disclosure statement, directly under the banner ad.

I hope that makes sense.

I'm probably sounding paranoid but I want to ensure that I'm not doing anything wrong.

Kind regards
Mandy
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Hi Mandy,

Thanks for your post. No, it's not necessary to add a disclaimer to banner ads. FTC sees banner ads are very obviously ads, so a disclosure isn't needed. It's only when there is uncertainty that a disclosure is necessary.

Hope this helps :)

Michelle
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

mandywa
Trust:
Cheers, Michelle.

I want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

Kind regards
Mandy
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
You just need the disclosure on TEXT links. The banner ads are obvious advertisements.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

mandywa
Trust:
Thanks for that. Gee, I wonder how that will affect programs like context cash and other contextual advertising that inserts affiliate links into your content such as clickbank etc. I don't use it - used to a few years back, but stopped it after it started bringing up errors on my pages etc - but I'm sure there are plenty folk do use programs like this.

Kind regards
Mandy
mandywa
Trust:
If I have a banner ad on my site for an affiliate program and have a text link directly underneath it - for example:

Dog Training Site Banner
Text affiliate link to the dog training site

Will I need to put a link to an affiliate disclosure statement along side the text link?

Kind regards
Mandy

This topic was started on Dec 12, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.