Build a mailing list? Want to blog for a living? Then you're gonna need some content. Find out where to get it and the best way to use it here.

Stealing Content!

therese
Posts: 6
Joined: 09 Mar 09
Trust:

Stealing Content!

Hi,

This just has not been a very good week. My Optin form becomes possessed and does weird things - only in Mozilla Firefox.

Then the icing on the cake: I Googled my ezine article:
"How To Save A Relationship - 5 Critical Areas to Develop Skills" because it has a lot of views.

And, what did I find? Well, the first eight listing are MY article or portions of my article WITHOUT MY NAME AND BIO BOX.

Only one person played by the rules and kept everything intact.

What good is it to write articles and have people delete your information?

Is there anyway to keep people from doing this? I emailed EzineArticles to see what they have to say, I feel like I'm writing and going through the trouble of uploading for nothing.

I'm open to suggestions.

Therese
  • 1
jami0821
Posts: 1
Joined: 13 Mar 09
Trust:
You can't stop people from doing this but you can send a direct message to the website that has it posted.

You should go to whichever website(s) has your article displayed without proper documentation and use their contact form to tell them to either remove your article or give you proper credit. I think you'll find 90% of the time they will comply. For the other 10% who ignore you, simply threaten further legal action. I'm pretty sure the Ezinearticles website should have your back with all of this.

Anyone else care to chime in on how to deal with copy write infringes?
  • 1
jasondodd
Posts: 874
Joined: 08 Feb 09
Trust:
it seems to be the nature of the net that content is "shared" (plagiarized or research - depends how you view it) but to directly copy an article without giving credit is pretty mean. however we also know that google rewards unique content so sometimes that can be its own payment, plus if so many popular sites are reprinting your content, they are obviously impressed with your writing - its a compliment of sorts!
  • 1
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium
 
eblro01
Posts: 13
Joined: 18 Nov 08
Trust:
You might want to take a look at Copyscape at http://www.copyscape.com/prevent.php and they give some advice on how to respond to it once it has been discover at http://www.copyscape.com/respond.php

They also offer a service that will monitor the problem for you, but it's not free, so you need to decide if it's worth it.

I share your pain - it's an ongoing problem.

Hope this helps.

Bob
  • 1
tnm1234567
Posts: 136
Joined: 09 Apr 09
Trust:
Hi Jason, my stuff is popping up 100% plagiarized as well! im in the same boat as Therese. i *guess* its a compliment? but my question is dont people like Therese and I, the honest peeps, get that google slap penalty thing when we get plagiarized? what can we do?
  • 1
Thank you in advance for your wise advice.

Yours Truly,
 
Site Admin
markling
Posts: 2488
Joined: 13 Jun 06
Trust:
From what Google tells us they have algorithms to make sure they are rewarding the original author (date content posted, links to the site etc.) but its not an exact science so it wont work everytime.

Follow the suggestions to chase down the 'perps' and get them to play by the rules or remove the content, however dont get obsessed with it - youll end up wasting time and losing focus on the more important stuff!

Just learn to be one step ahead - outwit, outplay, outlast!
  • 1
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: http://www.affilorama.com/premium
 
eblro01
Posts: 13
Joined: 18 Nov 08
Trust:
Whenever I create content, I always put it on one of my own sites first and wait until Google has it indexed before I send it to an article marketing site. In theory at least, Google will then have listed you as the original author and the people that rip you off will not cause duplicate content issues for you, the original author.

Use the Google site map generator to tell Google of your new content. If you're using WordPress, the plugin Google XML Sitemaps does the job automatically. Just be sure to set the plugin option to rebuild your site map if content is added or changed.

If anyone knows this is not the way it works, please respond. I trust Mark's guidance on this, and to my knowledge this is all you need to do to protect yourself. You'll never be able to stop the poachers, but you can at least make sure your content gets tagged as the original.

I hope this helps.

Bob
  • 1

This topic was started on Mar 10, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.