Build a mailing list? Want to blog for a living? Then you're gonna need some content. Find out where to get it and the best way to use it here.

Should your first email send them back to your site?

kurt
Trust:

Should your first email send them back to your site?

I've heard Mark say that you should send them back to an article on your website in one of the first emails you send them. The reason being is that Google supposedly pays attention to how many people return to your site, and if Google sees a lot of people returning it might reward your site by improving it's ranking. Or so the theory goes. Is there really anything to this? I mean, how could Google even know that people are returning to your site if they're not doing so via Google? If they are returning via a link in your email, how would Google even know about it?
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Hey Kurt,

Whether Google pays attention to how many of your visitors end up returning, and whether they use that in their rankings... it's all a matter of speculation. It's not the craziest thing I've heard. It could be one of a bunch of things they look at to figure out if your site is actually providing a good experience for people.

If you use Google Analytics on your site, all your visitors are cookied by Google. So they know when that user returns -- even if they don't come through Google search. When you look inside Analytics you'll get all that data laid out for you: New vs returning visitors, how often people visit, how recently they've visited, how many visits it takes for them to do a particular thing.... if we as webmasters can see it all, then Google can definitely see it all too.

Personally... I don't think it's going to be a HUGE factor. But if it doesn't hurt, and it's not a huge bother, I'd probably do it.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

kurt
Trust:
Ah, I see, Google analytics. I didn't think about that. Thank you, I was just curious how Google would know that.

This topic was started on Jan 23, 2014 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.