Build a mailing list? Want to blog for a living? Then you're gonna need some content. Find out where to get it and the best way to use it here.

Should I pay my outsourced staff to learn new skills?

PremiumMember
mosca
Trust:

Should I pay my outsourced staff to learn new skills?

I have a lady in India writing articles for me and have found her very good. I recently asked her if she could do some backlinking for me and she agreed. I then gave her access to some training I have so she could sharpen her skills. She has billed me for the hours she spent going through the information. Now maybe I wasn't clear enough but I wondered what you guys who outsource a lot of you work think. Should I be paying an outsourcer to learn skills when they will be able to use them with other clients? When you send a training video do you expect to be billed for the time they take to view it?
Would appreciate your thoughts.
Lewis
sonitin
Trust:
Ideally yes, you should be paying your outsourcer for the training time. They are doing it for you and it is pretty much the norm. Think of it this way, if you hired a staff and wanted them to learn something, you will be paying for that. They may join a new company and use those skills there too.

The other options are to hire trained staff or to get work done on project basis.
"offshoreally.com" - One click for all outsourcing requirements including bookmarking, submissions, dedicated staff, link building..

Looking for a qualified virtual assistant to help you with your work? Click here - "offshoreally.com/internet-marketing-outsourcing-seo/virtual-assistant-link-building"

Enter The" Bad Ass" SEO Guest Blogging Contest to WIN CASH PRIZES http://bit.ly/9knBFs

PM me for coupon codes!

wollowra
Trust:
Yeah, I have to agree with Sonitin on this one for the points mentioned.
I would not pay for testing them on their skills though by doing a small test for me to see if I want to hire them.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

emilsp
Trust:
I think it all depends on how valuable her services are to you. If she is really good, do pay for the training for now, but try to clarify all the details before you do something like this again.

michael025
Trust:
You should. When you outsource, generally, you are paying for the person's time. Yes, he/she might be able to use it with others, but if that person's work is valuable to you, then it shouldn't matter. Just think of it as a win-win situation between yourself and the person you employed.
milansangan
Trust:
Hi,

I believe it's only fair to pay your outsourced staff to learn new things. After all, you're not only paying for the person's time but his or her efforts to learn new skill so your staff can accomplish the tasks that you will set for him/her later on.

This topic was started on Aug 15, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.