Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Which shopping cart programme works best..

PremiumMember
duraid
Trust:

Which shopping cart programme works best..

Hi,

I know this is slightly off topic, but has anyone used a shopping cart company before that they use to host an ebook that they are selling and to accept credit cards..

There seems to be so many around.. is this a recommended way to sell an ebook rather than forwarding them to a thank you page which contains the PDF file for download..

Duraid
faradina
Trust:
Hi Duraid,

Like you said, this is a bit off-topic for the AffiloJetpack forum, and it is likely that there are very few AffiloJetpack members who have experience with shopping carts.

So I moved this to the general forum so that more members will be able to see it and increase your chances of getting a reply from someone who knows about shopping carts.

Cheers :)
PremiumMember
duraid
Trust:
There seems to be an endless array of options to use when deciding how to sell an ebook.. some people don't recommend shopping carts, as there is a commitment to them.. Paypal is straight forward but offers little customisation,..yet another option is to use a plugin for wordpress???

I am completely lost.. can anyone help?
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Mark mentioned a shopping cart plugin for WP called osCommerce and a member has recommended other plugins on this thread: Shopping Cart Plugin for WordPress
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

jcdean
Trust:
I would use Clickbank if it were a digital product. Even if you don't plan to have affiliates. It's only $50.00 as I remember. If you approached blog owners on related topics who knows, maybe you could find an affiliate or two.

I have used 1 Shopping Cart before when I sold physical products. It's nice because it will also act as an auto responder for your customers.

1 shopping cart will act as your delivery system for digital products too.

If you want to keep it simple you can simply put a Pay Pal button any where you want, even a blog as far as I know.

With Clickbank and a simple Pay Pal cart you will have to have a down load page.

No experience with shopping cart plug-ins, so I can't comment.
Respect,
JC Dean

PremiumMember
duraid
Trust:
Clickbank seems the most obvious choice to go with as a start.. As you say it's only a one off $50 activation fee... The only thing then is delivery of the product.. from my research, this would simply involve putting ebook in a sub folder on your website.. but then how do you stop people from getting access to it? Is there a way to hide it?
kajm
Trust:
Hi Duraid
You have to give the customer a link to the download page. I just put the ebook in a subfolder with a really long awkward name, in fact just a jumbled up set of letters and numbers to make it look like it is dynamically generated. I planned to change the folder on a regular basis but didn't bother as nobody seemed to be passing the link to the download page on to others.
I think if people are basically honest and if they buy your product, they are ethically in the right place. And if they think the product is worthwhile they will refer other people through the purchase link rather than stealing your book.

Kevin
ckdavid
Trust:
I would recommend looking at http://www.shoppingcartelite.com I've been using this one for quite sometime now and so far i haven't got issues..
robertflorish
Trust:
Hi, You can go with ZS Cart - SAAS Ecommerce Shopping Cart Software Solutions Provider .
http://www.zscart.com
robinson5
Trust:
i agree with the shopping cart design being SEO friendly, that was actually one of the qualifications in choosing my cart ( Shopping Cart Elite ), no matter how good you site is, it would be useless if others can’t find it.
michael025
Trust:
Hi Duraid,

Go with Clickbank. It's cheap, its a one time fee, and aside from getting a shopping cart, your product would also be listed on their Marketplace which would also help advertising your product : )
michael025
Trust:
Another alternative for you would be to choose a web hosting package which offers free shopping cart services....
saha
Trust:
i got shopping cart from this site for my e commerce site. http://www.xnynz.com/xyz/shop-cart/ it works perfectly.
essexboyracer
Trust:
I have no experience with clickbank, so cannot comment. I have though had experience of setting up ecommerce shops and can say this, you will not find a cart that will provide you with everything that you want. At some stage you will need to compromise your ideas. I have recently gone for opencart, due to it being free & popular with a huge community behind, it also allows for digital downloads.

Alternatives to this are a hosted cart such as bigcommerce which is very similar to opencart in terms of features but takes away the hassles of hosting and backups. Also bear in mind the need to be PCI compliant with the credit card companies - dont do this and you will face a huge fine. The easiest way around is to get a payment gateway (in the UK) such as worldpay, sagepay, paypal etc

there is a lot more to it than this short post