Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Should I use nofollow on internal links?

udiberg9
Trust:

Should I use nofollow on internal links?

Hi

My question is very simple. I want to create a website with a main page (which is the index.html) and another pages like "privacy policy" page, "site map" page and etc.

If someone wants to to go from my index page to the privacy policy, for example, he just needs to click on the privacy policy link and he will be there.

I'm going to market my website through search engine, and I'm going to create 10 targeted landing pages. I will send the visitor to the specific landing page that I want him to see through the destination URL of the search engine. Let's assume that the visitor navigate from the page to the "privacy policy" (He can navigate to the privacy policy from any landing page).

What I actually mean is that any targeted landing page is like the Index.html (Just with a different name).

Now my quesiton is: If I want that someone will return from the "privacy policy" page, to the specific targeted landing page that I sent him, how can I do that? (because from the "privacy policy" there is only one link (which is to the index page)?

Another question:
When I work in this strategy, do I need to put noindex and nofollow tags? (I'm planing to change only the headline of each page)

Thank you very much for the help.

Regards, Udi
Site Admin
paulus
Trust:
HI Udi,

with regards to your nofollow query, take a look at this post, particulalry jasondodd's reply:
post28218.html
Also there are a number of other posts which touch on various aspects of nofollow use in the forum also, check ou some of the results here:
search.php?keywords=nofollow

As for your main question, to track your users entry point you'll need to do it via session or cookie, requiring a scripting language like php - do you use any scripting at all or are you running an all static html site?

Alternatively if your running all html you could use some javascript in your
pages to track your users in the same way via cookie.

If you could let me know what your experience/knowledge levels are of the things i mentioned i'd be happy to help with some sample code to get you going.

HTH,

Paul
<--websta*-->

http://www.affilorama.com

udiberg9
Trust:
Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your respone. My experience is not so high, but I understand a little in HTML and if you explain to me what to do, I will probably do it. I do know scripts which follow after keywords (to recognize which word is more profitable, but I think I need other kind of script)

I actually need to create a website with hidden pages (I mean that people could see the hidden pages only through the search engline). I'm going to send them to specific page. This is not a problem for me to create the pages, but for "privacy policy or a site map, I need to create only one page. If someome will decide to visit the "privacy policy" after he was in one of the hidden pages, how can I be sure that if he will come back, he will return to the hidden page, and not to the INDEX page?

I believe that there's a script code for that. Can you send me a code that does it?

Thank you very much,

Regards, Udi
Site Admin
paulus
Trust:
Hi Udi, sorry for the slow reply, haven't checked the forum in a few days, and missed the email alerting me you responded.

Ok so, to create hidden pages that are still indexed by search engines you do realise that these pages will not be hidden exactly as they will have to be available by ther url, e.g.

http://www.mywebsite.com - gets me the normal homepage
http://www.mywebsite.com/special_home_page.html - gets me the special home page

So the special page is never actually hidden, and anyone could just come along and access it.

We can of course limit who see's what pages based on where they've come from, but your pages are going to have to be available to the search engines to index them - and when they are listed in the results - they will be listed with the full urls.

Have you thought about if/how you plan to restrict access to your special hidden pages when people shouldnt be accessing them?

To make the pages completely hidden, that is you'll get different pages through the same url based on where you've come from, really we need to be doing it using PHP or similar - you'll need to know if your web hosting supports PHP.

We can reasonably simple do what your asking without using PHP, but there are better ( and more technical ways ) of doing it, and this is purely just an example of how you can do it really simply.

I'll try be as descriptive and non technical as possible, we'll be using JavaScript to do the magic, this can be inserted into your HTML pages. For this example we'll assume the following pages:

index.html - your main home page
index_special.html - a special home page
privacy.html - your privacy policy page

I'll just paste the code of these page in here and expliain them as i go

1. Firstly we have some code we'll need on all our pages, this is the script which enables us to track our usesr entry point - create a file and name it cookie_redirects.js, in the same directory as your index.html. In this file put the following content.

2. Next is the home page ( the important bit are the two scripts at the top )

When we tell it to checkEntryPageRedirect(); it checks to see if we've tracked them coming from somewhere else, if they have we redirect them.

3. Next is the special home page ( again the important bit are the two scripts at the top )

When we tell it to trackEntryPage(); it stores a cookie that has this pages url in it, that way we know this is the home page they should return to.

4. Next is privacy page ( or any other page ) ( again we need our cookie_redirects.js script )

Here we don't do anything automatically when we load this page like the other 2, but we have options on how we handle links back to the home page.
The first link example sends the user to the actual home page, where we detect if they should be redirect to the special page.
For the second link, when they click it, it checks to see if they should be going to a special home page, and send them there instead of home.

And thats about it.

Any questions or problems just ask!

Paul
<--websta*-->

http://www.affilorama.com

udiberg9
Trust:
Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for the great reply. I'm working on that.

I have another question regarding redirect and meta tags. I read lots of posts about it, and I'm a little confused.
My question is for a PPC use, not SEO.

1) I made a redirect page between my landing page and the vendor page, in oreder to cloak my affiliate link.
This is a PHP code and it works very well. I read all the time that if I use redirect page, I also need to add some meta
tags like noindex or nofollow. If this is correct, where do I need to put it? In my landing page, In the redirect page or
maybe in both of them? I've heard also about link rel... Can you instruct me what is the best way to use?
If I need to add them, do I need to add them to all the pages in my website?

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards, Udi

This topic was started on Sep 14, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.