Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

.php or html

PremiumMember
blubutterfly
Trust:

.php or html

Hi this is justine, I have a query regarding these terms .php or html. I am following the lessons and now up to week 5.2. I was having problems a while back with other pages in my website not showing because I had my home page as html and my other pages as php.

I changed it back to html and voila, my website was publishing properly, all pages were showing again. I notice in your lessons, especially in SEO week 5, all your file name settings are php. Is there are reason why it does not publish my pages when I change file name settings in xsite pro to this. As soon as a put it back to html its fine.
looking for a reply
regards blu
petraw
Trust:
I haven't actually got an answer, sorry, but I also would like to know what actually is the difference between html and php.
PremiumMember
steve1533
Trust:
Hi Justine,
Did you ever find out the answer to your question above as its exactly the same problem i am having.
Thanks
Steve
PremiumMember
blubutterfly
Trust:
Hi Steve, yes I did, if you are using xsite pro like I am, I went into
-other
web setting
file name settings
changed the first tab I think off memory to html instead of php and voila they showed up perfectly online once I had saved and published.

let me know if this helped you
regards justine
PremiumMember
pfojas
Trust:
Hi! html is static while php is dynamic.

I think static like a word document - what you write is what you see. On the other hand, html is used for sites that will be updated manually. It doesn't change unless you modify the contents. What you see from the html is the actual content. It's not a program (no process) hence it's static.

On the other hand, php is a processed output. php processes data on the server side and produces an output on the client side.

html is a standard format used by the web (www) so even if it's a php program, it still uses html as the output since html is a format but don't be confused with the html and php extension.
PremiumMember
francesc
Trust:
paulinefojas wrote:Hi! html is static while php is dynamic.

I think static like a word document - what you write is what you see. On the other hand, html is used for sites that will be updated manually. It doesn't change unless you modify the contents. What you see from the html is the actual content. It's not a program (no process) hence it's static.

On the other hand, php is a processed output. php processes data on the server side and produces an output on the client side.

html is a standard format used by the web (www) so even if it's a php program, it still uses html as the output since html is a format but don't be confused with the html and php extension.

Exactly!

PHP is 10000x times better than HTML but in your case stay with HTML because you are not using the dynamic properties of PHP.
19 years old chilean blogger, a very creative kid, sometimes too creative
Look mum! I'm a moderator!

PremiumMember
blubutterfly
Trust:
Hi this is justine again
just a question regarding the links that we are typing in when we rewrite a article with ama. I noticed that with marks example in his ama2 training video he has
<ahref="http:www bla bla bla .php"></a>
notice at the end he has "PHP" again is that going to affect mysite, or work the same for me even though my website is all in html format?
regards justine
PremiumMember
francesc
Trust:
It has absolutely no effect :) It just thew programming language your file is built on.
19 years old chilean blogger, a very creative kid, sometimes too creative
Look mum! I'm a moderator!

PremiumMember
blubutterfly
Trust:
great thank you

This topic was started on Jun 19, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.