Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

How do I hide H1 in WordPress?

beldin
Trust:

How do I hide H1 in WordPress?

Hey Gang,

Anyone know if it's possible to hide Heading 1 on a page (not them all) in Wordpress?

Thanks,
Stephen
Last edited by michellerana on 06 Oct 09 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title changed to describe the post better

Stephen

wollowra
Trust:
Hi Stephen,
Just out of interest, why do you want to hide your H1 tags?
This is part of good SEO.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Normally there's no reason to hide H1 tags on a web page but I know some webmasters feel that having more than one H1 heading on a page will confuse the search bots.

If that's the case you could edit the style.css for the theme you are using to make H2 the same style as H1 and use that. Or create a brand new style to use that looks identical but doesnt use the H1 tags.
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

beldin
Trust:
Thanks for the reply. I came across a few pages that didn't have the heading on top of the first page, makes it look more like a "landing" page I guess (haven't gotten that far in the program yet).

I was wondering how they did it and also maintained the SEO content for the site. I've since figured it out, they just made the font small and matched the color to the background but I don't think you can do that in Wordpress for 1 page only.

Nothing serious, I was just wondering how it was done.

Thanks,
Stephen
Stephen

wollowra
Trust:
Hi Beldin,
If they have matched the font to the background and hidden the text, this is against Googles TOS and is Blackhat marketing.
If the sites get found by Google they will just delist them.
They are Playing with fire in my opinion.

Regards
Troy

-- Robert Brault

beldin
Trust:
You make it sound like I'm trying to do something evil. LOL

I was just looking for a way to have a different title on the page other than the Heading 1. Some of my keywords don't fit well into a title and it would be nice to be able to have something different up there.

Any other ways to achieve this?

Stephen
Stephen

wollowra
Trust:
lol, You evil person you..lol
Kidding.
Some Wordpress themes have an option of not displaying the H1 tag.. but still leave it in the H1 tag code.
Although the themes that do that are usually Paid themes and you need to know a little CSS and html.
sorry I can not help you further on that one.
Regards
Troy

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
bigticket
Trust:
Hi Guys
Slightly off topic i.e. not Wordpress. But have managed to tweak my home page to give me a good SEO result. The problem I have is that my site is quite an authoritave financial services site within the UK of @ 1400 pages/5 years old and the H1 tags tend to stick out like a sore thumb and seem spammy. I know there's the fine line between designing for your clients and designing for SEO but wondered if I could do anything with a PHP function. I have managed to squeeze a H3 tag in.
Regards
Martyn

This topic was started on Oct 05, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.