Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Email Address from Sales Page

bobnolley
Trust:

Email Address from Sales Page

If I post a sales page with a low dollar offer, will I be able to get email addresses from buyers if I am using Paypal?

Testing an isea where I do not want to pass them through a squeeze page.

Thanks !
Site Admin
jonathan_l
Trust:
Hello Bob,

The answer is "usually". Payments received from most Paypal accounts and credit card transactions should give you an email address; the only time I've seen no email address available is from specific payers (such as eBay Partner Network)

What I will say, though, is that retrieving the addresses from Paypal could be quite time consuming, especially if you are then manually adding the emails to a list.
PremiumMember
tajamal.bajwa
Trust:
What I say about affilorama very very difficult job .
tajamal bajwa

bobnolley
Trust:
So any recommendations for a better way...just apoint in the right direction would be good!

Thanks for the reply...and the effort!
Bob

jonathan_l wrote:Hello Bob,

The answer is "usually". Payments received from most Paypal accounts and credit card transactions should give you an email address; the only time I've seen no email address available is from specific payers (such as eBay Partner Network)

What I will say, though, is that retrieving the addresses from Paypal could be quite time consuming, especially if you are then manually adding the emails to a list.
Site Admin
jonathan_l
Trust:
@Bob

Actually, on closer inspection, you *can* bulk-download customer data from Paypal (Take a look at http://www.modeeworld.com/forums/paypal ... count.html), so you could do this regularly - you'll still have to figure out how to import into your mailing list software.

Alternatively, you can have Paypal redirect to an opt-in page after purchase, and have customers enter their email/name on that page. If you do that, I'd recommend reading through http://www.warriorforum.com/main-intern ... l-tos.html

Finally, if you have enough programming experience, you can actually use Paypal IPN service, which will automatically notify you whenever you receive a payment (and provide details like customer name and email address), which you could then automatically transfer into your mailing list software (again, you'd have to figure this out yourself)

Take your pick :)
esolutions
Trust:
Hi,

If you are adding email addresses without the user having "opted in", then legally you cannot send to them (it's called spam/unwanted email).

Have them fill in their email in order to get access to their order after purchase.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

Site Admin
jonathan_l
Trust:
@esolutions: Not strictly true, but I'll take this moment to clarify exactly what you should and should not do with your customer email addresses.

Basically, how you treat your customer email addresses, and sending your customers email, is covered by the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003.

[Note: I am not a lawyer; if you think you may get pinged, or you are unsure, you should check with your lawyer]

Basically, if you have received a customers email address from a transaction, you *may* use their email for Transactional emails specifically related to that transaction, such as:
- Order confirmation
- Followup to confirm customer details, etc.
- Delivery progress

You may *also* use the customers purchase as implicit subscription to your marketing list. *However*, if you send them any 'unsolicited' email, you must:
- Provide your contact details in the footer of an email, in a readable manner
- Provide a valid unsubscribe link in an obvious location in an email (usually the footer), in a readable manner, and which must work for at least 30 days after the customer receiving the email
- Comply with the unsubscription request within 10 days of the customer wanting to unsubscribe.

Additionally:
If a customer has previously unsubscribed, they should not be automatically resubscribed on a future purchase. Most email marketing software will automatically detect duplicate email addresses though, and prevent this from happening :)

It is also best practice to:
- *Before* sending a marketing email, but *after* purchase, send the customer an 'opt-in' email which allows them to confirm they want to receive marketing emails (e.g. Affilorama does this for first-time customers buying our goods)
- Tell the customers on the sales page, etc, that they agree to receive marketing emails from you

Note that the opt-in email isn't necessary [This is known as single opt-in], nor is a form explicitly asking the user to sign up to your list - as long as they have become a legitimate customer you are permitted (under CAN-SPAM) to use their email address; but please, please please make sure you follow the guidelines above (and the CAN-SPAM requirements).

Hope this helps!
esolutions
Trust:
If you want to get very technical check out Global Suppression Lists as well. There are so many ways to mess up email marketing that it's better to do it right from the start instead of leaving yourself at risk.
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

This topic was started on Nov 05, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.