Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Someone has copied an article of mine onto their blog

cassie
Trust:

Someone has copied an article of mine onto their blog

One of my articles, complete with affiliate links, appears to have been reproduced word for word on a dog training blog. I have never come across this blog until now, and am wondering how this might have happened? I know this is probably not that good for me because of duplicate content issues. What should I do?

Thank you very much.
cassie
Trust:
I should add that they have changed the occasional word of sentence very slightly (perhaps in an attempt to get around the Google bots), however the sentence structure and grammar are quite poor how they have done it. It is quite embarrassing to have my site associated with this blog. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Hi cassie, you can email the blog owner, and let them know that they have pirated copywrighted content, and they need to remove it from their site. but, it can be a legal headache that isnt worth the time or cost to actually force them to.

Clayton had a good idea on how to deal with that a few months back. but, maybe someone from the staff can find it, I couldn't ( searched for almost an hour.)

basically there isnt much you can do without a lot of hassle.

One thing to realize though is that Google will not slap you. They have ways of knowing which one was posted first, so you will get credit as the original author. Also, it is something that does happen, and you can either focus on worrying about it, or just let it go, and focus on doing things right. These ripoff artists usually dont last long, and then their site is gone anyway.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

cassie
Trust:
That is great advice, James, thank you.

Thank you as well for taking so much time to try and find Clayton's post. Very kind of you.

It also upset me a bit that I am ranked 14th for the keyword phrase in question, and he is ranked 11th.
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
I think this is the thread that James was looking for: What to do about people ripping your articles

Search terms used:
keyword: original
author: cterao

Another one with the same issue: Need some help on increasing sales

Hope the information on those threads help.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
I knew it was arround there somewhere. I guess I just missed it in my search. Thanks
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

rocketdocket
Trust:
cassie wrote:That is great advice, James, thank you.

Thank you as well for taking so much time to try and find Clayton's post. Very kind of you.

It also upset me a bit that I am ranked 14th for the keyword phrase in question, and he is ranked 11th.

This happens to every blogger and website creator. First, they're the aggregators that lift your copy as part of a single site without any content focus. Then, they're others who steal your stuff in the same niche.

I used to worry about it when one of my mobile blog posts was lifted. Now I ignore the thieves because, in most cases, I know their site will never rank.

Continue producing regular, excellent content and forget the slimy folks who are too lazy to write their own stuff.

Brian

Brian Prows
Director of Mobile & New Media
MobileBeyond
http://www.MobileBeyond.net
510-565-7946

dolly78
Trust:
great advise.... i had the same problem some one copied alot of my articles and then put them on different sites.... not much to do...

I later noticed that some of my article then was published on other site, but with some diffrence... google translate i guess....

This topic was started on Dec 19, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.