Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

SEO - Dynamic URLs vs. Static URLs

PremiumMember
strongfarmer
Trust:

SEO - Dynamic URLs vs. Static URLs

Has any of you heard that Static page/urls do better than Dynamic page/urls in search engines related to SEO?
wollowra
Trust:
Hi S,
From what I have read Static is better than dynamic.
Some people build their pages with say... .PHP etc and that's fine..
However the search engines don't like it when you have a dynamic URL like .PHP?var1= xxxx/ etc.. as it can send them around in circles.
I am sure there are some Techy guys here will have a better take on it though. I stick to static pages myself... but I know there are a few webmaster tips and tricks that they use to make a dynamic page look like a static one in Google eyes.
Not sure if Google slaps you for it though.. never tried it.
Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
strongfarmer
Trust:
Thanks for your answer Troy

When you say: "However the search engines don't like it when you have a dynamic URL like .PHP?var1= xxxx/ etc.."

Using Wordpress, I will of course use permalinks... /xxxx/xxxx/

But will Google still look at the url as a dynamic?
(for example when reading through my xml sitemap)

The reason I was asking this question was that, i just feel when im searching a specific Niche subject, I see more .html sites at top of Google than dynamic (with static url). Maybe its just that, those html sites are older and rank better, dont know!
wollowra
Trust:
Hi S,
this article may help you.
http://blogdesignstudio.com/wordpress-c ... tatic-cms/

Now having read up on this... Permalinks are fine.
SE will read the page as static, from my understanding.
If you are getting more than 100K vistors a day... then PHP dynamic pages can slow down your sites browsing etc..
But if you are getting 100k vistors a day... you should be making enough $$ to hire a programmer instead of you having to worry about it anyway..lol.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

gillesjh73
Trust:
This link may also help you:
http://vur.me/s/Best-3-Way-Back-Link-Software/
johneniste
Trust:
I use dynamically generated urls on my site but i use the htaccess file to make them look like nice urls (no .php?this=that malarky)

So i can do weird and wonderful things with php on my pages (and only have a few pages that actually create hundreds)

btw. Google loves wordpress sites and i've found that it's easier to get a wordpress site ranked than a static site i've designed in dreamweaver.

This topic was started on May 10, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.