Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Drop in SEO

scparker
Trust:

Drop in SEO

Has anyone else seen behavior like this? I had this search term at position 8 last week, but then if seemed to fall off a cliff into the 40s.. I am doing AMA, but not for this search term (yet) - so I am guessing Google picked it up in the sitemap.

Maybe I should get an AMA article going for this one - if it is so interesting to Google naturally...

Any suggestions would be appreciated..

-Steve
scparker
Trust:
Hmm.. Just an observation, but I installed instapop a few days before this drop... Any chance that is affecting my SEO? I've heard that popovers can hurt SEO on Google - is there any truth to that?

Thanks,

Steve
jeremyg
Trust:
Steve,

Google does over 300 "updates" each year (quoted from Matt Cutts, sorry don't have a link on hand) so maybe a factor of your site was looked on as unsavory by a minor update - there are many, many reasons why a SERP can drop down. Looking over any changes made over the last few weeks is a good start. The problem is that unwinding them all and waiting to see if your site is ranked again is a timely process, as well as the fact that you will lose all these features that you've added in for a reason!

Popovers/ups/unders can affect SERPS, although if you've installed pure javascript popups and they are installed as a positive attribute to your site it is unlikely that they would be the reason.

At an educated guess - I would suggest that google has observed something unsavory about this page. Has the drop been site-wide or just isolated to this page?

Jeremy G
sonitin
Trust:
Give it a few days and it might/should be back. May be you had some high profile blog linking to you that isn't anymore or may be just the typical google dance.
"offshoreally.com" - One click for all outsourcing requirements including bookmarking, submissions, dedicated staff, link building..

Looking for a qualified virtual assistant to help you with your work? Click here - "offshoreally.com/internet-marketing-outsourcing-seo/virtual-assistant-link-building"

Enter The" Bad Ass" SEO Guest Blogging Contest to WIN CASH PRIZES http://bit.ly/9knBFs

PM me for coupon codes!

scparker
Trust:
I've been playing with this some more... I have one term get up to position #4 on Google, then turned instapop back on.. Now it seems this term isn't even listed any more...

For now I'm not going to use instapop... But I would like to know if anyone has had a similar experience..

-Steve

This topic was started on May 30, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.