Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Directory Submission - Where should I direct links to?

katso
Trust:

Directory Submission - Where should I direct links to?

Hi!

So I set out to get some links buy submitting my site to directories, submitting articles to databases, and posting on forums using the various totally awesome software you provided (thank you), but am not sure about one thing....

Where should I direct my links? To my home page? or to various pages on my site?

With databases should I direct to my home page because thats where users are expecting to be taken?

With articles should I link to separate pages depending on the topic of the article or to my home page every time?

What about forums? Whats the best approach here?

I'm also wondering about the anchor text. Should I focus on my main keyword therefore pointing most links to my home page OR should I focus on the sub keywords therefore pointing most links to my sub pages.
What will get me more traffic?

I have a rather competitive main keyword and it would probably take great skill and effort to be on the first page of google.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Katso

:o
Last edited by sydney on 21 Mar 11 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: 404 link fixed

PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Make most of your links point to your homepage, but makesure your 2nd and 3rd tier keywords also get some attention ie your other pages.

Databases?? Don't know what you mean there.

Forums: post good content, don't spam them or you won't last long. Be an authority on the forum and you will get more traffic.

Your main keywords should get you more traffic, but you'll find that low hanging fruit converts a lot better, assuming you're using product names, gurus etc.

Hope that has answered your questions :)
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

katso
Trust:
Hi!

Thanks for your input Sean06.

Databases - Sorry I meant directories. With directories should I direct to my home page because thats where users are expecting to be taken?

Also, if i rotate the anchor text when submitting to directories, should I use sub keywords but link to my home page or link to the sub page to which the anchor text relates?
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Which directories should you direct to your homepage? Most don't even let you post links to any other page than the home page.
www.SixDayWeekend.com

katso
Trust:
So what you are saying is that when I submit my site to directories then anchor text should focus on my main keyword and link to my home page.

In forums and articles however I could have the anchor text focus on some of my sub keywords and link to the corresponding pages in my site.

Is this correct?

Is this good strategy?

Thanks Sean
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Well, I don't think most directories will even let you use other links.

But at any rate, you will want most of your links to point toward your main page, but also make sure you get enough links to rank for your money terms.
www.SixDayWeekend.com