Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Are link directories the same as link farms?

burkhardt5
Trust:

Are link directories the same as link farms?

I have been comming across lots of link directories some having good PR as high as 5. I started placing my site links on these sites and they seem like good sites. Then I remembered Mark talking about link farms and to stay away from them. Are link directories a safe and good place to put your link or are they considered link farms and can hurt you? Also if they are ok to get a link from are they essentialy worthless links anyway?
Never give up!
Paul Burkhardt
Paul J. Burkhardt

PremiumMember
sirmatts
Trust:
you have to ask yourself a few questions. Does it look natural? I don´t know exactly what you mean with link directories but if you refer to directories such as dmoz and such they are certanly not a link farm. Mostly you can just submit your domain name to these.

It quite natural that pepole would build up these directories to easier find good sites on a specific topic, Then it might be that these are spammed a lot and searchengines has devaluated their value. One thing also with directories is that you can only submit your domain name there not your innerpages.

There are a lot of factors that determine the value of a link. But the main concept is that the value of the link is truly determined of the enviroment surronding it.

The better surronding the beter value. Lets say you have an ezine article with a link from it. Now ezine has autority on top of that you have written an article that is related to your site content. And the surronding from where your link is(ie your posted article).is comming has good quality. That link has a lot more value than lets say a spammy looking blog comment that has already been gotten commented 20 times.

This should make it easier to determine good places from bad places.
Best thing ever since sliced bread! Seriously this spinner is 20 Years ahead of TheBestSpinner. Get a Massive 70% Launch Discount ->http://www.inwrk.info/realbestspinner

burkhardt5
Trust:
So for the most part link directories are not very good links as they are full of all kinds of links rather than nich related content.
I have found lists of several hundreds of these directories, do 100 of these links equal 1 good link or am I just wasting my time?
Just one more thing, I read about poor links affecting your link juice in a negative way, would link directorie links fit in that catagory and hurt my link juice for SE rankings?
Thanks
Paul J. Burkhardt

nilehadwards
Trust:
Nowadays,link directory is not effective than forum or bookmarking. The quality of backlink is very low!
robinjackman
Trust:
no link directories not same as link farms.
amberennetwork
Trust:
No link directories are your friend. Starting with the most obvious, Yahoo Directory costs 299/yr but will show huge results quickly because of how reputable it is. There are plenty of free directories as well that you should submit to that will drastically improve your keyword rankings and your Search Engine Results.
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Your ranking in search results is partly based on the quality of the sites that link to you. You should only get links from those that are relevant to your site and from those that will be beneficial for your visitors.

Link farms are pages of links to other sites with no original or quality content. Linking to link farms can hurt your rankings and search engines. Google in particular has been known to ban sites that use link farms.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

milansangan
Trust:
Hi Paul. I think the link below can give you a better idea on how a link farm is different from a link directory.
http://www.highrankexperts.com/Web-Dire ... -Farm.html
burkhardt5
Trust:
Thank you everyone this was very informative.
Paul
Paul J. Burkhardt

careybaird
Trust:
Link directory is different from link farm. Link farm is composed of website groups which has hyperlink to each others site and link directory specializes on linking web sites depending on there category.
www.FreshStoreBuilder.com
The Most Advanced Amazon Associate Tool
Make $$$$ from Amazon with SEO Friendly Stores - only $97 - 30 day Money back guarantee

janice123
Trust:
Thanks for the insight into the difference of link directory & link farms I have been using directories, forums and blogs to scatter my back links around. My guess Google would classify FFA (free for all advertising) sites as a link farm because they have no categories all the links appear on the same page!
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Free for all (FFA) sites are one of the “bad neighborhoods” that you should stay out of. Otherwise, your site will be penalized by search engines.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

This topic was started on Sep 16, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.