Looking for some creative inspiration for your promotions? Find and suggest ideas for marketing and building your affiliate campaigns.

Anyone used Elgg?

essexboyracer
Trust:

Anyone used Elgg?

If you dont know, its a "powerful open source social networking engine". From the demo install I tried it felt a bit like facebook mixed with a forum. Anyone else have experience of trying this program out in a real world situation?
jethro.aragon
Trust:
Hi essexboyracer,

I agree that Elgg is actually a really neat platform and, as what you say, functions like facebook. It is also really similar to how Drupal works.

Using Elgg or not really depends on the purpose of the website. For starting Affiliate Marketers, using WordPress is still the best option for me. Maintaining the contents of the site would be much easier using WordPress compared to Elgg.

Creating a social networking site would be a really big challenge since Facebook is already established and a lot of people are already using it. Creating a new social network account might be more of a hassle to some users. Instead of attracting visitors, it might potentially turn them off instead.

Again, the purpose of creating the website is what we need to consider. For me, Elgg is for the intermediate to advanced users. WordPress is still my platform of choice. Knowing the progress and plans for more upgrades with the platform convinces me that WordPress would still be the choice of many in the years to come.

There must be a reason why the number of WordPress users still exceeds it's counterparts.

Personally, I'm really impressed with what Elgg can do and how it works. I'm actually playing around with Elgg and Drupal.

I've yet to find a popular site that uses Elgg as a platform.

Cheers!
-Jethro-

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice.”

essexboyracer
Trust:
Agree, you need to select the 'best tool for the job', and elgg, for me at the moment, doesn't really fit into anything I do... yet. I found it whilst looking at forums for a charity website two years ago and it looked interesting then.

I have never got into Drupal, always put off by the supposed 'steep learning curve'. I favour CMS Made SImple and if it needs it, wordpress integrated within.
williamluke01
Trust:
no what is this?????
marcelorb
Trust:
Please, visit:
Links removed by moderator
esolutions
Trust:
marcelorb wrote:Please, visit:
Links removed by moderator

Please visit: blockmeimaspammer.com.

Thanks
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

hardnova01
Trust:
I used to have several Social Networks powered by it until I switched them all to the SoNET Web Engine about 2 years ago when I think the CTO left the company that built it. My solution now is full fledged Social Networking Platform for Windows Servers (woot !) . Plus it comes with everything you need and a great manual. They have an actual FREE version also. It's like the swiss army knife for Internet Entrepreneurs in my opinion. Does more for less...which really IS the bottom line.

Link removed by moderator

essexboyracer wrote:If you dont know, its a "powerful open source social networking engine". From the demo install I tried it felt a bit like facebook mixed with a forum. Anyone else have experience of trying this program out in a real world situation?

This topic was started on Jul 28, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.