Looking for some creative inspiration for your promotions? Find and suggest ideas for marketing and building your affiliate campaigns.

Afilliating in non-English language/countries

xenopus
Trust:

Afilliating in non-English language/countries

I was just curious if there are people who did or are doing afilliate marketing with the market aimed at their own country. By that I mean non-English speaking countries.

I'm very curious of the results. :)
Last edited by michellerana on 26 Oct 09 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

For a sceptical view on things:

PremiumMember
francesc
Trust:
Well I'm Chilean (we speak Spanish), but I haven't made a site like the affiloblueprint in my language. The Spanish market is not the best one to choose, there is people that look for information but most of them are not willing to pay for a product. Besides there only a few products in Spanish (in CB).

But I do have a blog that have some affiliates links in there and, from time to time, I get commissions. The last one was $33 which i got a week ago.
Last edited by michellerana on 26 Oct 09 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: -

19 years old chilean blogger, a very creative kid, sometimes too creative
Look mum! I'm a moderator!

PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Definitely worth a shot if you can find good products. I've promoted a few products for the German market and because the competition isn't hot there, things convert pretty well.

Same principles apply regardless of the language though :)

Sean
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Trying a different language/country market can make for an interesting challenge but it might be a case of needing to walk before you can run - just due to the added complexities of a different language and culture.

As Sean mentions it can be a good option due to lower competition but you'll need to do your homework and get to know your market. As Francesc said about his local market - they're not so much willing to buy products; that could be handy to know before putting a lot of effort into an affiliate site!

Of course there's also the SEO issues you'll face with targeting a new language - you can't just do a straight translation of your existing keyword list! You really need to understand the culture first.
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
MarkLing wrote:Of course there's also the SEO issues you'll face with targeting a new language - you can't just do a straight translation of your existing keyword list! You really need to understand the culture first.

From what I've heard, not understanding the language, or the implications of certain translations, has led to several interesting advertising miscues. One of the more well known examples of this was when Chevrolet developed a car that they named the Nova (after the exploding star in astronomy) to be marketed in Mexico. Just one problem. "No va", literally translated into Spanish, means "no go". And who wants a car that doesn't go? ;)

I've heard of another similar one, though I don't remember the details, where the translator accidently used a translation that had sexual connotations -- not at all the intended intent of the ad!

:D

Grady
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

mariosweb
Trust:
I´m Mario and I am from Portugal. When I started the course I was in the middle of creating a site in Portuguese on Registry Cleaners. It's definitely a challenge when one should adapt what was taught in the course when confronted on working in a different language. For example, with regards to keyword research, in Portugal we still have to work on keywords with 2 words. In most niches, it doesn't make much sense to look for very longtail keywords.

But the great advantage is that people are not so aware of this opportunity and competition is scarce.

I hope this gives you some insight.
Last edited by michellerana on 26 Oct 09 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

jasondodd
Trust:
like any business endeavor its a good idea to do your homework and that includes researching your target market - if youre thinking of selling registry cleaners to everyone in mongolia because theres not much competition then maybe check to see if a market actually exists by doing your keyword research and maybe even what computer ownership is like in that country ... sometimes it will be trial and error which isnt a major if you havent invested too much into it
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: https://www.affilorama.com/premium

edwinboiten
Trust:
I have sites that target my homecountry the Netherlands and do much better in SEO and sales than sites I built for the US market. It's easier to rank for a good keyword in my language as the competition is low.

I am looking at Germany and France also as they have large sites like Amazon locally there. That means no translation issues as one of the things I do is build wordpress plugins and one of that is a plugin that creates Amazon niche sites using WordPress. And I build it so it can be used in any country they are in so I am looking forward to that.

Already bought 4 .de domains in a niche that has according to Google adwords tool 40,000 searches in Germany and only about 8000 competing pages. The product is in the $400 - $800 range. Will be fun when it ranks well.
Last edited by michellerana on 26 Oct 09 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Nice work. You definitely have the advantage if it's your native language - even the best translation tools can't compete with a natural speaker of the language.

Having a thorough knowledge of the local language will also help you know what words people of that country or language will be using to search for things.

Well done for targeting what is largely an untapped market, even if it is smaller.
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

lorenzoal
Trust:
I'm finishing translating a very long ad, guides and bonus programs, of a company that's doing very well in English, and is about to promote it's products to the spanish speaking community, here in the U.S.and abroad, and consider that it'll be a winner, and will know so because I'll be their liason to the Spanish community partner . Soon I'll tell you if my hunch is correct.

I'll gladly do the same with anyone willing to turn me on to a piece of the action.

Lorenzo Alvarez Beckmann
PremiumMember
mjluna
Trust:
Hi;

I´m spanish speaker my main dpubts to promote some spanish product is the off SEO part. I don´t find how to replicate the link building for non english sites!!
pipthepip
Trust:
Hi all,

I just stumbled across this forum thread while looking for non English language partners to help with alternative language versions of our site. I am eager to add as many languages as possible, both European and non romanic (Russian Japanese Arabic etc). The aim is to get into partnership with someone who will translate the entire/micro site and also actively market within that language. For that we will be willing to pay expenses and also look at around 50/50 profit share depending on relationship.

I have found it very hard to find the correct forum for me to get in contact with people that could to this for me - i hope I have found it! I have in this respect a couple of questions being:

1) is anyone interested in discussing this further for their own language?
2) can you think of any site or services directory (i have tried freelancer.com etc with no luck) that could put me in front of those individuals or companies that could help me?

I look forward to hearing from you. The site by the way is pipthepip.com.

Take care

Jack

This topic was started on Jul 08, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.