Build a mailing list? Want to blog for a living? Then you're gonna need some content. Find out where to get it and the best way to use it here.

Xsite Pro & RSS News Feeds?

fuzzyhead
Trust:

Xsite Pro & RSS News Feeds?

Hi all

I've just about finished my first niche site, at the moment it's only got 20 pages but even that hard slog to write all the content, now busy writing articles & submitting them out. I've put it together in Xsite Pro & I've noticed it has a RSS Feed Wizard, my question is...

Is it possible to have a small section on each of those pages that grabs news feeds?

Ideally it would be great if I could create a small news column in the right-hand side panel on the bottom of every page, is this possible with Xsite Pro?

If so, could each page have unique news feeds relating to that page's general subject? So that page A has news feeds relating to subject A, page B has feeds relating to subject B & so on?

Never touched RSS feeds before so forgive me if I'm way off track. Just thought it would be a good way of automatically updating content daily on my site & leave time free for me to write all those filippin articles.

Thanks for any help.
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Fuzzy,
RSS feeds can be considered duplicate content by Google.
However, that is not really an issue that I worry about.
Google won't deindex your site, but they may omit that pages RSS feed content if it doesn't have any other unique content on that page.
From what you have explained, you are fine.
Just put some really good content up and also have a small RSS feed on the page.
Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

fuzzyhead
Trust:
Thanks for the info Troy.

The only reason I was thinking of putting a small RSS news feed box on each page was so my site looked like fresh content was being added regularly. So am I right in thinking if Google views RSS feeds as duplicate content then the `seeing fresh content being added' won't happen?

I've seen a few of sites recently where they are basically just one page (an affiliate product review) masquerading as a blog with RSS feeds pulling in related content. I thought they were using the feeds to look like content was being added daily & to mask the fact that they just has one page...or again, am I missing something?

Ta very for any help.

Fuzzy.
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Fuzzy,
RSS feeds are not viewed as fresh content because it can be viewed as duplicate content.
Having said that, some feeds on affiliate sites can outrank the original feed itself due to the affiliate site being an authority site with high page rank and aged site etc..
I only use RSS feeds to add value to my pages for human visitors.
After all that is what we should all be doing right?
If the search engines pick up the RSS feeds on my site, I just look at that as a bonus.

Also, the sites you see with just RSS feeds on them are spam sites.
They offer no real value other than to clog up the serps with duplicated crap because they don't care about anything else other than to make a quick buck before Google ignores there site or gets it in the next google slap.
Just my 2 cents.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

jmight
Trust:
worth more than 2 cents Troy. Get the idea of offering real value and content and Google is on your side. As you said:

"I only use RSS feeds to add value to my pages for human visitors.
After all that is what we should all be doing right?"
faradina
Trust:
You're correct in saying that Troy's ideas are worth more than 2 cents. Actually, they are worth much, much, much more than 2 cents. Troy is one of our best moderators here :)
stargate66
Trust:
wollowra wrote:Hi Fuzzy,
RSS feeds can be considered duplicate content by Google.
However, that is not really an issue that I worry about.
Google won't deindex your site, but they may omit that pages RSS feed content if it doesn't have any other unique content on that page.
From what you have explained, you are fine.
[quote=Just put some really good content up and also have a small RSS feed on the page.
Regards
Troy

Troy, I don't really understand this RSS feed stuff. I have been told that it is good practice (for good ranking purposes) to submit your site to at least 15 RSS Directory Lists.

I have done this but some of these sites confirm the feed has been added and most say that the url doesn't contain a valid feed.My logic says that there must be some "code" on my website for these directories to pick up the feed or am I wrong?. I have been using the Affilohost web builder in stead of Wordpress and I have an idea that this "code" is not automatically included (Does WP do that?)

Can anyone maybe tell me what the steps are from step one. Must I first add some code or add-on, or download something to my site before I list with these RSS Directories?

Thanks for your help
William
For over all wellness you need a solid Omega 3 fatty acids intake
http://www.earth-edge.com

This topic was started on May 06, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.