Build a mailing list? Want to blog for a living? Then you're gonna need some content. Find out where to get it and the best way to use it here.

News articles in your website?

eddiec
Trust:

News articles in your website?

Ive noticed in another website in my niche that they have a page with links to related articles in various newspapers websites. They have the headline as a hyperlink to the article in question and the first few lines of the article underneath. These are links to major publications such as the new york times etc.
My question is, is it ok to use such headlines without prior permission as long as its just a link to the host site? is it ok to even cut and paste the entire article as long as it links to the host site and if so, is it any advantage to your affiliate site to do such a thing? I know about using no follow tags to avoid issues with duplicat content etc. I just thought it would be useful to 'pad out' the site with more content as well as all my own articles etc.
Does anybody have any thoughts on this?
wollowra
Trust:
Hi,
Can you give us an example of one of the sites you are talking about.
Thanks,
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

eddiec
Trust:
Hi Troy,
Heres what Im talking about... "http://www.truthaboutdeception.com/story_in_the_news.html"
It's another niche Im working on.

Thanks for your help
Eddie
wollowra
Trust:
Ok, I am not a copyright attorney or anything so this is my opinion..
Copying an article word for word is in my opinion copyright violation and you need the written permission of the owner of the sites article before you can copy it.
I think it would be acceptable to have a link and a couple of lines as in the example site above, however I would try to email the news site and get permission first... then you know for sure.

Hope that helps.
Regards
Troy

-- Robert Brault

eddiec
Trust:
Thanks Troy, I will try that and see what happens.

Thanks for your help
Eddie
PremiumMember
graceharman
Trust:
You could just add an RSS feed to a page like this for the same affect & without the copyright issues.

Alternatively, I think it's a great idea to write your own commentary on news related to your niche and post it on your blog or website. For example, you could use Google Alerts to find daily news related to your niche and then post a 200-400 article about it (which would take less than 30 minutes to write - if that. Just reword the original news article and add your own opinion at the end!) It's a great way to get traffic, because lots of people search for news or receive Google Alerts, RSS on topics of their interest.

I've noticed that blog posts on current news also tend to get more comments from readers.
wollowra
Trust:
Excellent Grace,
I just wrote that one down in my little black book...lol thx.
Troy

-- Robert Brault

charlies
Trust:
Definitely be creative and write your own stuff. But if you feel the need to put someone elses' content on your site just give them all the credit along with a link to where you got it from. You might want to ask just to cover your ass but I wouldn't have a problem with it if it was my article. Charlie

This topic was started on Aug 12, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.