Build a mailing list? Want to blog for a living? Then you're gonna need some content. Find out where to get it and the best way to use it here.

Email- & article marketing question

rudolf55
Trust:

Email- & article marketing question

Hi all, I have a bit of a dilemma concerning my email marketing website. I am using a squeeze page on my main page to catch emails. In the emails my subscribers will receive I point them to my article pages, because I'd like to add a 'featured'/'recommended' reading part at the bottom where I write about an affiliate product that suits the article subject.

So I thought to myself, why not publish these articles to public as well and change the featured bit below the article to a squeeze page form so I can catch their emails instead of selling a product like I do to my subscribers (since SEO traffic can be considered 'cold').

Anyway, the point is, if I do publish the articles to public and get SEO traffic I will have a problem - it's kind of of stupid to, as a subscriber, come across articles already read by you on the same website, where you are likely to think I just wrote this article only to find out you're being served 'old' articles.

But then again, I wonder, what would the odds be that someone remembers an article you've written before? Especially since I plan to not index the articles served in the first two weeks in the newsletter series (so they will remember it less if they did read it before).

But I also need all of the articles indexed from a point from my website, e.g. a 'main' article page. I especially do not want this to come up, but if I tell Google to not index it it won't follow the links on that page and not index the articles it's pointing to on that page. I could write all the articles in one time-scale ofcourse before launch, index the main articles page, have pointing pages indexed, and then de-index the main articles page/delete it, but I don't think I will be able to keep up writing dozens of articles at a time, nor do I have the resources to let someone else do it. Re-writing the articles I could do.. maybe change the page images a bit as well, but that would also be time-consuming.

What is the best thing to do here? What are the odds? Does my post make any sense?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi rudolf55,

I'm sorry for the delay in responding to your post. From what I understand, you refer your subscribers to a recommended/featured article. Is this article part of the site? Is it open to the public? Or is this a page that only those who you give the URL to have access?

If you're referring subscribers to an article that is only available to them, then it might be better to keep doing so. This would make your subscribers feel special since they have access to information the rest of your readers don't. You can add this to your squeeze page and let users know that if they do sign up, they will have access to information articles that are not available to the public on your site.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Building affiliate marketing websites is a breeze: https://www.affilorama.com/affilojetpack
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/affilorama

rudolf55
Trust:
Thanks for your reply.

I guess it might indeed be better to make them exclusive to subscribers. I just figured I could also publish the articles to public, but no one could access it directly from the website I have so subscribers wouldn't know about it, unless they stumbled across it through SEO. I felt that would also be a bit of backstabbery if I would server them articles they've already read.

But my question about that was; what would be a good way to still make use of the subscriber articles for SEO purposes? Re-write them? That would still make them look the same. Basically I'm looking for some new ideas I'm running out of them.

Another thing, I don't see too many newsletters referring people to articles anymore. I remember that Mark Link used to do this in his earlier days though, but what would be producing more sales; the long narrow text-only email with direct affiliate links in it, or a small text-only email referring to a html article with pictures, and 'featuring' a product (summary of product + aff link) at the bottom of that article? I have my own website.

Personally I never have the patience to go through those long and boring-looking text-only emails I am being sent, but honestly I am curious as to what works 'best' in general.

Thanks again.
cecille.l
Trust:
I suppose what you can do is to publish that articles you've shared with your subscriber publicly, and any new ones, you can share with your subscribers first, then publish it later on to your site. You can make it like an archive where new visitors can read the articles and subscriber can go back to a favorite article.

Cecille

Building affiliate marketing websites is a breeze: https://www.affilorama.com/affilojetpack

rudolf55
Trust:
I suppose I could do that, but I've never done it that way. That would mean I would use a newsletter that's constantly adding new random articles instead of the regular 'write and forget' list? Because I still want to send an 'introductory' bunch of emails before exposing them to more 'random' articles, is that possible in Aweber?

Also what about my question about long text-only emails vs. short emails pointing to external HTML-rich articles (previous post)?

Thanks.
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi Rudolf,

With Aweber, every new subscriber is brought to the start of the newsletter sequence so they will receive your introductory emails.

Short emails work better these days, with either the link to the product sales page or a link to a page on your site that talks more about the topic of the email.

Cecille

This topic was started on Mar 21, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.