Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

xsitepro vs. xera web designer 7 vs. sarif web plus x6

nates450r
Trust:

xsitepro vs. xera web designer 7 vs. sarif web plus x6

Just a quick question. I use xsitepro and it has been a great tool. I have seen other sites built with the xera and serif products and to me they just look more modern or jazzed up and the xsitepro sites look dull. I know xsitepro is geared for affiliate sites but Is it just my eyes or do these other products offer more capabilities?
tankctrlr
Trust:
I think xsitepro is dead, the reason I believe this is; awhile back the owner/creator was trying to sell the rights to it because he couldn't update it the way he wanted to for whatever reasons, I don't know if he sold it or not yet. Also the xsitepro forum is dead, there's actually a discussion there about what is going on with it, last time I checked (I own xsitepro 2, but it stopped working on my computer this year, I've since switched/graduated to WordPress/HTML hand coding etc.)

So in my opinion anything is better than xsitepro at this point. I don't know anything about the other builders so can't help you there sorry.
Writing Services - www.needanarticle.com

Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
I'm not too familiar with these other products you mentioned, but if you're going to be learning a whole new technology all over again, why not move to WordPress?

The engine itself is free, and there are probably a literal million different "themes" you can get for free or pay a modest amount for in order to add different looks and functionality to your site.

You can get plugins to do pretty much whatever you want (definitely whatever XSitePro can do), and if you ever need anything customized, designers and programmers out there are going to be a lot more familiar with it.

The other benefit is that WordPress really isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It's got a huge community behind it, and it'll be supported and updated for a very long time to come.

Is there any particular reason why you'd want to stick with desktop software?
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

nates450r
Trust:
aletta wrote:I'm not too familiar with these other products you mentioned, but if you're going to be learning a whole new technology all over again, why not move to WordPress?

The engine itself is free, and there are probably a literal million different "themes" you can get for free or pay a modest amount for in order to add different looks and functionality to your site.

You can get plugins to do pretty much whatever you want (definitely whatever XSitePro can do), and if you ever need anything customized, designers and programmers out there are going to be a lot more familiar with it.

The other benefit is that WordPress really isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It's got a huge community behind it, and it'll be supported and updated for a very long time to come.

Is there any particular reason why you'd want to stick with desktop software?

Well to tell you the truth I like building a website from the ground up. I have a wordpress account and have tried it but never published anything. Guess it never cought on with me.
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
A WordPress account (ie, wordpress.com) is different from using WordPress to build your website. Wordpress.com is an online blog, like Blogger or something. There's also WordPress the content management system, which is actually installed on your own hosting.

To do that you typically go into the cPanel of your site and install it. (It might be hiding under something called Fantastico.) I'd recommend you take a look... you can install it somewhere (hidden) on your site, like in a subdomain, and then just have a play and see what it's like. It will be a new learning curve, but you'll find a LOT of resources on the web, since it's pretty insanely popular.

Having said that, I also like building my sites from the "ground up". But I just hack together the HTML myself. This would also be a valuable thing to learn, if you want to liberate yourself from editors completely. If you can learn a bit, there are some good pre-built frameworks out there that you can then just tweak (eg Bootstrap, and I use one called Skeleton).

But if you like the WYSIWYG desktop editors, the Serif one looked nicer than the Xara one :)
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

This topic was started on Dec 02, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.