Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Word Press Upgrades

PremiumMember
jayhurwitz
Trust:

Word Press Upgrades

My site is currently operating on Word Press 2.8.6
I have received messages from Word press to upgrade to 2.9.2

I have made coding changes to my site that enable me to list and display all my articles on each page of my site.

I am concerned that if I upgrade I will lose the coding changes that I have made. Can someone advise on this?

Also Is there any downside in the future if I remain with 2.8.6?
stormyuk
Trust:
Yes - there is. You have to keep upgrading and the best idea is not to change the core files at all. That way you don't have to worry about losing your modifications every time there is an upgrade. You have to upgrade because Wordpress fix security holes - hackers are constantly trying to find ways to get into low security blogs so they can place their links back to their sites.

If you want to modify code and not be in danger of overwriting it, use the Thesis theme (or something similar) - it allows you to make major changes to your blog's functionality without changing core files.

Liz
PremiumMember
jayhurwitz
Trust:
Thanks for your reply Liz.

I understand what you have said about security.

Apart from that, is there any threat that Wordpress wont support my site if I dont upgrade? Can Wordpress remove my site?

Where I am coming from is this: I am not able to make the coding changes myself. I got someone to make the changes for me. I do not want to do this again, unless I absolutely have to. Also, if have to do a code change every time WordPress does an upgrade, I would prefer not to erect future sites using WordPress.

Jay
liferep
Trust:
Hi Jay,

The frequent WP updates can also render some plug ins obsolete and thus dysfunctional. This is why I'm also reluctant to keep updating.

Aside from possible security issues I don't think that you do have to update.

Vance

This topic was started on Mar 03, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.