Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Will switching to a Wordpress format affect my backlinks?

rocktech
Trust:

Will switching to a Wordpress format affect my backlinks?

I just switched one of my existing sites to a wordpress format. What I didn't realize is, wordpress sites remove the www. from the front of the domain. For example, if my site was www.mysite.com, it is now mysite.com because I switched to Wordpress. If you type in www.mydomain.com or mydomain.com, you still get to the same page.

So my question is, how will this affect the backlinks I already have to the www. domain? Even though they both go to the same page, do the search engines view www.mydomain.com and mydomain.com as two different places? If so, is there anything I can do to minimize the damage?
PremiumMember
ampie g
Trust:
Hi rocktech, you can add www on your Wordpress site by logging in to WP admin then go to settings> general. Change the site address from mydomain.com to www.mydomain.com.
Hope that helps.
rocktech
Trust:
Oh man, do I feel stupid! I had no idea it was that easy. Thanks Ampie. I owe you huge. I did it, and it worked.

If you're ever in NY, let me know and I'll buy you a beer.
PremiumMember
ampie g
Trust:
Hey, you're welcome rocktech :)

This topic was started on Sep 21, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.