Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

When do you know its time to upgrade to dedicated hosting?

rosconz
Trust:

When do you know its time to upgrade to dedicated hosting?

As the title of this post describes I am wondering if there is a way to tell when you need to upgrade your web hosting?

Like looking at the cpanel or something?
Site Admin
mikeantiga
Trust:
If you just want CPanel you don't need a dedicated server since you can have it on most shared hosting services. You only need to upgrade to a dedicated hosting once your average daily visitors reaches 10,000 or higher. If the average is just below 1000 you can still settle for a shared hosting service. But if it ranges from 1000-9,000 per day, you might consider moving to a VPS server instead.
Want lessons on Affiliate Marketing, SEO and Content Creation? Get them here for FREE:
http://www.affilorama.com/lessons

rosconz
Trust:
Thanks for the reply mike. Given me a good understanding.

Regarding CPanel, I meant like if there was a log file or some sort of report on it I could look at and see if the site is not loading for some visitors due to not enough bandwidth.
Site Admin
mikeantiga
Trust:
The easiest way to check your average visitors per day is through Awstats on the CPanel. Awstats will let you display your daily and monthly statistics in terms of unique visitors, number of visits, bandwidth, etc and from these data, you should be able to decide on what type of hosting service you need for your website.

Additionally, you can also check your server's current status (like Server Load, Memory Used, Swap Used, etc) under the Service Status of the CPanel. If you are not sure where to find these tools, you will need to contact your host.
Want lessons on Affiliate Marketing, SEO and Content Creation? Get them here for FREE:
http://www.affilorama.com/lessons

This topic was started on May 05, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.