Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

What is the best way to backup your website?

PremiumMember
tarpon19
Trust:

What is the best way to backup your website?

What is a good way or the best way to backup your website?
rudolf
Trust:
Hi Tarpon19,

You should upload your website. If your computer breaks down, you can rely on your hosting. Same way the other way around. You can add a folder to your site called "Backup" and upload backup files there, while the actual used files are located in the main folder of your site.

Also, if you really want to be sure, like when your webhost becomes bankrupt, and your house burns down, you can also backup your files using a USB stick. I always carry one in my pocket.

Regards, Rudolf
This account is managed by two persons; Maarten and Rudolf. You may find either of us posting individually with this account.

cchhita
Trust:
Hi Tarpon,

Rudolf is right, your Hosting company does make backups (usually daily), but still it is always a good idea to have an offsite backup.

If you have Cpanel, you can backup the site quite easily. Login to your Cpanel, then go to Backups.

From here you can download a Home Directory Backup, and if you have a database you can download this too!

I have yet to find a good script that will backup my files for me, but I have found a few that backup the database (as I use a Content Manager for my sites and they require a database).

Hope that helps.
Cheers
Chirag
PremiumMember
tarpon19
Trust:
Good advice guys, I already do make backups like referenced above but I wanted to see if there are any better, safer ways. I was going to buy another pc and put all the same data on the other pc as well (Plus I just want a new pc ;)
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
I like to live dangerously :P

Actually, I've never thought about my computer burning up or my host going bankrupt. I think I should be pretty safe :)

Archive.org shows you what pages looked like anyway doesn't it?
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
I'm all for finding dubious reasons to buy new stuff, but really... what does an extra computer offer than an external hard drive or USB stick doesn't?

If I were you I'd keep one copy on your computer, make sure it's the same as the stuff on your website, and then periodically back up the site onto a USB drive or something. With three copies I think you'll be pretty safe.

Oh, and you know that mp3 players like iPods act as external hard drives/USB drives as well? Need a new mp3 player? :)

All the best,
Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

lunatunes
Trust:
Hi Tarpon,

Ive been using a service called Mozy for about 5 months now and I really like
them a lot. For $4.95 a month I feel pretty secure knowing that as little or as
much of my hard drive that I want is backed up. You can schedule the back up to be automatic. I have it back up my computer every 2 days.
I put the link in my signature if you would like to check it out.

Blessings,
Randy
PremiumMember
tarpon19
Trust:
Thanks for all the replies everyone ;)