Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

What is my best option for my first website ?

pierrorider22
Trust:

What is my best option for my first website ?

Hi guys ,

I m getting ready to set up my first website and I'd love a few opinions on the subject.

Should I get the affiliotheme Package over working with WordPress ?
What would be the advantages/disadvantages of it ?

What Webhosting company should I go for ?
I know Mark recommand Hostgator, but is this my best option if I am in UK ?

Cheers.
Pierre
PremiumMember
rominafarrugia
Trust:
From my experience it all dependso on what you are after and your time commitment.

Do you have time to take care of blog by writing frequently and learning as you go along, or do you want a selected niche site that is targeted for specific keywords?
Are you willing to build it into an authority site or do you want to outsource it eventually?

Depending on your targets then select your host and which programs are good for you.

Hope this helps.
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
AffiloTheme is actually an add-on for WordPress. Wordpress is like the engine that drives the car, and your "theme" is the flash paint job, fancy stereo, sun-roof and all that stuff. It changes the way your website looks and behaves, but it's still Wordpress at the core.

AffiloTheme is a theme that's been designed specifically for affiliates, so it includes a lot of functionality that you'd normally have to dig around for, or pay someone to do for you.

If you buy AffiloTheme separately (or if you get it with AffiloBlueprint) we actually provide you with hosting for 1 website, 1 year free of charge. With that you can just click a couple of buttons and it sets up your website for you, all ready to go with AffiloTheme already installed.

If you don't want to get AffiloTheme, that's fine too. There are lots of other themes out there with different functionality. Just find one that you like. You're not necessarily tied to one... you can try out a bunch of different ones.

There are a lot of hosting providers out there... I use Hostgator myself and I've never had any problems. I can host as many sites as I like on it, and it costs me $9.95/month. It doesn't matter whereabouts you physically live, you can buy hosting that is located anywhere. I'm in New Zealand, and my hosting is in US. Most of the best hosting (and the cheapest) will be located in the US.

I've recently been looking at Namecheap.com hosting, basically because I buy my domains through them and they seem very sensible. I don't know how it stacks up, but it's a couple of bucks cheaper than Hostgator.

I wouldn't recommend GoDaddy... That's another one you'll hear people talking about. I can't speak for their service -- it might be just fine -- but figuring out how to do anything on their website is enough to make you pull your hair out, even if the hosting is pretty darn cheap.

The main thing I can think of that you need to check is that your hosting comes with some sort of control panel that will let you install WordPress. HostGator does, NameCheap does. Most will.

Also don't get sucked into any "super duper website builder" bonuses you might get with your hosting. These generally aren't all that good.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

pierrorider22
Trust:
Thanks for your replies guys !
That s very helpfull.
Pierre.

This topic was started on May 11, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.