Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Website building with NVU or Dreamweaver - Which is best?

heather
Trust:

Website building with NVU or Dreamweaver - Which is best?

Hi everyone,
I am about to take this exciting step to search for a domain name, hosting, and of course deciding what program to use to build my web pages, and website. I have only been with Affilorama for a week and it looks very exciting. I have no experience in affiliate marketing, so I am a super newbie!!! I thought of starting to learn with NVU, can anyone advise me on any other programmes? I know Dreamweaver is the best but at the moment a bit difficult to learn for me.
Cheers,
Heather
laterales
Trust:
Just my $0.02: If it is one piece of advice I can give you, is to plan and replan EVERYTHING before you start.

Grab yourself a bunch of A4 sheets and get drawing, planning each page and how they are going to lead into each other, including spaces for adding site searches, adsense, headers etc.

I wish I could follow my own advice as I am CONSTANTLY having to go back over things and redo them because I haven't thought it through and time is money! Maybe it's just me, but I am on the third redo of the site I am working on because I have changed it's direction, again. Once you have your plan you can just go ahead and build too, much nicer.

I haven't looked at the DreamWeaver tutorials here at Affilorama, because I already use DreamWeaver for everything. Could you download the free trial and do some of the video lessons? It's easy to use once you get the hang of it, but you should try and get your head around the code that is used to make pages first. Do a search for 'newbie html tutorials' and do some of those lessons first, makes learning DreamWeaver a lot easier.

Good luck!
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
I don't think dreamweaver is too tricky if you're used to MS Office like programs. I never did any training, but managed to figure it out and I am not normally good at that stuff.

I recommend just getting it and learning as you go. It's not too hard.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
I would say start with Dreamweaver if you can because you will eventually get to it anyways.... however, you can always start with something else like NVU or XSitePro.
heather
Trust:
Thanks everone for info I will look into dreamweaver. and jump in the deep end.
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Heather wrote:Thanks everone for info I will look into dreamweaver. and jump in the deep end.

Good stuff Heather :)

It really isn't that complicated... it just looks scarier then it really is.
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Yep, if you have any problems, you know where to go for help :)
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

PremiumMember
promocode
Trust:
Okay I'm the ying to Sean, Adrian and Laterales' yang - Dreamweaver (MX) totally had me stumped :oops: I could not figure it out for the life of me so I started with SiteBuildIt for my first site, (tried Dreamweaver again) and then graduated to XsitePro (tried Dreameaver again) and then I jumped back into coding myself with a free WYSIWYG editor called Evrsoft First Page and of course tried Dreamweaver again, still prefering FirstPage.

After I built a few pages and had a good understanding of html I bought Dreamweaver 8 and low and behold it finally made sense to me and was a breeze.

Apparently I needed to understand what DW was doing with the code for it to make sense to me... using FirstPage first was the answer for me. I have to say I still use FirstPage for creating a quick sales page though :roll:

Hope I didn't confuse you, just wanted to lend another viewpoint and a another free alternative.

PC
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
I was going to say a similar thing to what Promocode said.

If I were just starting, I'd first use a free software like Nvu to get my head around creating pages and editing a bit of HTML. There's a lot of really basic stuff that is similar across all WYSIWYG web editors, and if you can get a grasp of it with a more simple, free software, this is going to benefit you in two ways:

1) You're not going to be so confused when you jump to Dreamweaver. It's the best software out there for building sites in terms of capability, but with capability comes complexity. It can be *very* bewildering to look at when you're first starting, and it's a shame because building web pages in itself is not that complicated.

2) You'll get more out of the 30-day free Dreamweaver trial if you can actually figure out how to use it. If you've got a grounding in another software, you'll be able to hit the ground running. If not, you'll still be muddling out the basics when your trial period expires and you won't be able to tell if you really need the software or not.

If you're going to be purchasing a web editing software, I definitely recommend Dreamweaver. What I'm saying is that it can be quite a complicated program, so it doesn't hurt to try a free software first.

Just my perspective,
Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive