Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Video about working with frames in web development?

moon6446
Trust:

Video about working with frames in web development?

Hi,

i'm making a website and putting articles on it, but I think i'm doing something "the long way" it must be able to do it a lot easier.
Now I have made a template and I put my article on it AND I put the list with articles on it and save under name I want to.
So If I have 40 articles I have to open all the pages 1 by 1 to update the links to the new articles.
Now I heard that I can work with frames to make it easier, and I want to ask if you have a video about that topic?

Cheers Simone
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Never EVER use frames for a website you want to get ranked in the search engines.

Also one more thing,, never EVER use frames :D

Adrian,
PremiumMember
promocode
Trust:
Yeah, what Adrian said :cool:

if you "google" it you'll see why.

What are you using as your html editor, maybe that's what's slowing you down? I've been using XsitePro and now Dreamweaver 8 and haven't found a problem.

Promo
freekdl
Trust:
adrian wrote:Never EVER use frames for a website you want to get ranked in the search engines.

Are you talking about the index page or all pages?
Doesn't link cloaker work that way, by loading the affiliate page in a full page frame? I 'm doing the same to hide my affiliate links, should I change this or not?

Thanks
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
freekdl wrote:
adrian wrote:Never EVER use frames for a website you want to get ranked in the search engines.

Are you talking about the index page or all pages?
Doesn't link cloaker work that way, by loading the affiliate page in a full page frame? I 'm doing the same to hide my affiliate links, should I change this or not?

Thanks

I would have to see an example of it. What I mean is, the page that is framed will never rank well in the Search Engines. This is proven across the industry. For one single page to show an affiliate product I don't see it would do much harm..... if you HAVE to use a frame which I don't know why?? use an "I-Frame".

Adrian,
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
It sounds like you're primarily interested in frames so that you don't have to update your navigation on every single page, is that right?

Another thing you can do is create a PHP include for your navigation. Basically all you do is copy the HTML for your navigation into to new file (much like you would for a frame), and then you insert a tiny piece of PHP into your article pages where you want the navigation to appear. What it's saying is "insert the content of this other page HERE". Then you just save your article pages as .php files, and they work perfectly.

The stuff you write in your article pages (where you want the navigation to appear) should look something like this.

(The stuff inside the brackets will depend on where in your file structure you've put your navigation file.)

You don't need to do anything special with the navigation HTML.... just copy the section from your current pages, paste it into a new document and save it as navigation.html (or whatever).

Hope that helps.
Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
MarkLing wrote:It sounds like you're primarily interested in frames so that you don't have to update your navigation on every single page, is that right?

Another thing you can do is create a PHP include for your navigation. Basically all you do is copy the HTML for your navigation into to new file (much like you would for a frame), and then you insert a tiny piece of PHP into your article pages where you want the navigation to appear. What it's saying is "insert the content of this other page HERE". Then you just save your article pages as .php files, and they work perfectly.

The stuff you write in your article pages (where you want the navigation to appear) should look something like this.

(The stuff inside the brackets will depend on where in your file structure you've put your navigation file.)

You don't need to do anything special with the navigation HTML.... just copy the section from your current pages, paste it into a new document and save it as navigation.html (or whatever).

Hope that helps.
Mark

You can also put just the code part for the navigation (without the body, html, head, and all those tags) into a blank file called.... file.inc

<?php include ("file.inc");?>

Adrian,
moon6446
Trust:
Ok thanks, I have something to work with again :lol:

And I see, you all are a lot smarter with dreamweaver then I am :wink: So I have another question,

How do I put a email form on my website using dreamweaver, looking something like this:

name
Email
Submit

Cheers Simone
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
moon6446 wrote:Ok thanks, I have something to work with again :lol:

And I see, you all are a lot smarter with dreamweaver then I am :wink: So I have another question,

How do I put a email form on my website using dreamweaver, looking something like this:

name
Email
Submit

Cheers Simone

To have people sign up to your newsletter list or just to contact you?

Adrian,
moon6446
Trust:
Hi Adrian,

Well I have no newsletter yet, but I have a free ebook and the newsletters will come soon.

So I want a form with which I can also built my email list.
I don't want to use aweber yet maybe later, so I want to know if it's possible with dreamweaver only.

Simone
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
moon6446 wrote:Hi Adrian,

Well I have no newsletter yet, but I have a free ebook and the newsletters will come soon.

So I want a form with which I can also built my email list.
I don't want to use aweber yet maybe later, so I want to know if it's possible with dreamweaver only.

Simone

No is it not.

That would be very time consuming and the code is pretty advanced... you would have to save each email on your own and add peoples names to your email address book - then manually unsubscribe them. Not the way to go.

When you are ready - use aweber :)

Adrian,
moon6446
Trust:
Hi adrian

And just a contact form, is that easier to make? :roll:

Simone
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
moon6446 wrote:Hi adrian

And just a contact form, is that easier to make? :roll:

Simone

It is done in php code. If you want to dabble with it I can show you the code.

Adrian,
moon6446
Trust:
Hi adrian

Well I think I want that, but I have No idea what "dabble" :? is.

So please show me the code and than I start dabbling :lol:

Simone
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Dabble simply means to play around with - fiddle with it.

The code consists of 3 parts..... the page where your form will be - the script to make that form work - and a thankyou page after the sign up.

Part 1 )

The HTML Table Form:

You will have 3 main pieces of code for this set up. It includes a name, email, and submit button. Each object is placed in between the two form tags you see below..... what this form is doing is telling it to call up "contact_us.php", which is where the php script is. I will touch on that in a minute. First we must create the form.

<form action="contact_us.php" method="post">

</form>

In between this code ^^^^^^^^^^ you are going to make the 3 parts of your form. They are...

<input type="text" name="name">

<input type="text" name="email">

<input type="submit" class="contactbutton" value="Send Form" />
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

That would create a name area, email area, and a submit button...

To simplify that, it would like this in it's simplest way on a page.

<form action="contact_us.php" method="post">
<input type="text" name="name"><br />

<input type="text" name="email"><br />

<input type="submit" class="contactbutton" value="Send Form" />
</form>

You would place this code in a HTML page or whatever. Now create a new page called "contact_us.php" or whatever you want to call it, just make sure you change the name of it in the opening form tag above.

This is only code you need on this page....

<?php
$email = $_REQUEST['email'];
$option_string = "Name: $name, \nEmail: $email";
mail ("[email protected]", "Moons Contact Form", $option_string, "From: $name");
header ("Location:
    http://www.thankyoupagegoeshere.com/thanks.html
");
?>
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>Contact Us Form</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>

That's it...

Adrian,
moon6446
Trust:
Hi Adrian,

Well you explained it very well, but I'm not getting it :cry:
What do you mean by Location:
    http://www.thankyoupagegoeshere.com/thanks.html
");

Do you know what topic in dreamweaver I have to read, or can I find an example somewhere which I can put on my website?

Simone
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
I don't understand the rest of the code, but as for the thankyou page, he just means somewhere that you want the person to be redirected to after they sign up.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

moon6446
Trust:
Hi Sean,

Well i just wanted to put a simple form on my website, with

name:
Email:
Submit Reset

But I cannot get it to work :cry:

Just a form for people to leave there name and email adress

Simone
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Sorry Simone, I have no idea about that stuff. Adrian should be around soon enough though, so don't worry :)
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
HI Simone,

The "Location" URL I am mentioning there is going to be the place of your thankyou page. This will show up after they click the submit button.

Can you show me the page of your form and code? You can private msg me if you like.

Adrian,
freekdl
Trust:
Hey Simone,

I was struggling with the same thing last month..
I've uploaded the forms I use to

(broken link removed)

All you have to do is enter YOUR email adress in process.php,
but I included a readme with the necessary information.

If you still have problems installing it, you can add me on messenger and I will guide you through in dutch :wink:

[email protected]
Last edited by ampie g on 28 Jan 10 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: broken link removed

moon6446
Trust:
Hi,

thanks for all your replies, well it took me sometime but I have the form on my website :lol:
Within the hosting account of affilorama is also a form mail option included and that's working :D

Cheers Simone
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
moon6446 wrote:Hi,

thanks for all your replies, well it took me sometime but I have the form on my website :lol:
Within the hosting account of affilorama is also a form mail option included and that's working :D

Cheers Simone

Good stuff :D