Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Transfering hosting from Go Daddy to Hostgator

PremiumMember
spunky
Trust:

Transfering hosting from Go Daddy to Hostgator

Most of my domains and hosting are through godaddy. I would like to transfer the hosting to Hostgator. Can this be done, and if so how? See little info on this. Maybe not looking in the right spots. Thanks
Last edited by michellerana on 15 Mar 10 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: improve title to describe the post better

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Yes, you could transfer your domains from Go Daddy to Hostgator. The first thing that you have to do is backup your existing website. Then transfer your domain name by changing the Domain Name Server (DNS) or Name Server information to your new host's DNS information. It may take 24-48 hours for it to propagate so your site will experience a downtime.

After the domain name transfer has been completed, you can now upload your files to your new web host (using FTP). Then test if your site is up and running and if all services are working on your new host (including email services). You can then cancel your previous hosting account.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

PremiumMember
spunky
Trust:
Thanks Michellerana. I thought so and thanks for confirming it. I hate the down part. Gonna cost me. But worth it in the end.
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
No, you won't experience any downtime.

If you've got both your hostgator and your godaddy hosting running at the same time, simply upload all the content from your site onto your second hosting so that it's basically an exact duplicate of your original site.

Set the DNS, and then just don't make any changes to either site during that propagation period. Since both sites are basically mirrors of each other, there won't be any downtime: It'll just switch from pointing at one hosting account to the other.

The only time you might experience a problem is if you have dynamic aspects like a user forum, where people are going in and changing things during that propagation period.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

PremiumMember
spunky
Trust:
Yeah, I've got Hostgator as well so that works out, Thanks ladies!
nadigarsoo
Trust:
** SPAMMERS WILL HAVE THEIR ACCOUNTS DELETED **
Last edited by aletta on 18 Mar 10 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spam spam spam spam

magtan
Trust:
Hi,
I need some explanation in layman's term to help do my transfer.

I am currently with InternetBusinessHosting. It is a fairly new hosting service in the UK. Am using it only cos it comes free for a year with a course that I bought.

I now want to transfer my hosting to Hostgator. They will do 1 free transfer for me, but I need to provide my FTP username & password and Control Panel URL, Username and password. Isn't the FTP username and password the same as the Control Panel username and password? Also where can I find the Control Panel URL? My current host works with CPanel, if that is any good.

For the other sites that I want to transfer to hostgator. I read Aletta's reply below that I will need to upload all the content from my site onto hostgator. How do I do that? I don't mean to be a pain, but I am not techy, so it is very much appreciated if you can tell me which icon I need to go to or a step by step of what to do?

I know how to change my DNS so the next step is easy.

After these, do I just wait 48hrs before checking my site and if it is still life, it means that the transfer had been completed smoothly?

Many thanks in advance.

clarafaie
Trust:
In most cases, your control panel username and password is also your FTP username and password, but there are hosting servers that give you different FTP credentials. You should contact the support team of your current web host and ask for your FTP login.

The procedure for transferring your website depends on what you used to build it. In most cases you would have to backup your site on your current web host, and you would have to upload it to the new web host using an FTP client like Filezilla. I cannot give you specific steps as I do not know how your site was set up.

The 48 hours is for domain propagation. If your new web host allows or enables you to upload your website files even before the propagation is complete, then your site would have virtually no down time and your site will be live on the new server upon the completion of propagation.

This topic was started on Mar 13, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.