Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Squeeze Page vs. Popover

PremiumMember
sierracommerceco
Trust:

Squeeze Page vs. Popover

Could you explain the difference between a squeeze page and a pop over page?

Thanks
Jason
99bluedragons
Trust:
A squeeze page is basically just a well written page that offers information about your products and services. It tends to be unobtrusive and if well written and providing a solid call to action can be a very viable means of selling your product. The popover is not actually a page, as it were, but more an advertisement that pops up over the page and won't allow them to see the page until they read or at least click the advert--or in some cases u ntil the script runs through its allocated time and auto closes. . Most people find them both annoying and intrusive although many companies have not--as of yet, been smart enough to realize that. :) Some people will actually read it, many say they simply leave the page and find another site because if the company isn't capable of advertising without intrusive methods they don't want to use their service.

If you're interested in trying them to see which is true of your website users, There is a free plugin to create popover pages available at wordpress.org. http://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-popup/
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
A squeeze page is kind of like a bigger version of a popover. The goal of both is the same: To get the viewer to enter their email address. (Although I guess both can be used for other reasons, but this is how you'll typically see them used.)

The squeeze page is called a "squeeze" page (I figure) because there's usually *very little else* a visitor can do on the page other than fill in their email address. Compared with other pages on your site, a squeeze page will have much less navigation and links to other places or parts of your site. The sole goal of the page is to get the email, so it doesn't provide any other "escape routes".

As 99bluedragons said, it *will* contain a compelling call to action to entice people to enter their email addresses. Often these pages will offer some kind of "special report" or bribe to get people to sign up.

A popover can appear on any page. Usually you can make them go away by clicking an X or clicking outside the box. Used well they can be very effective. We generally recommend waiting until a user has been looking at your page for a reasonable amount of time before you show the popover, otherwise their initial reaction is usually "get outta the way, I wanna see what this page is!".

Popovers can be used to get people to sign up for your newsletter, but they can also be used to promote pretty much anything else. You just need to be careful not to annoy people too much, because they *are* an interruption.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

kallayprasanth05
Trust:
Hi Aletta am I right if I would say that a popover can very well be blocked at the browser itself whereas a squeeze page fights such a block.
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Hi Aletta am I right if I would say that a popover can very well be blocked at the browser itself whereas a squeeze page fights such a block.

I'd need to check up on it for you, but I believe that most true "popovers" you see (and that we show you how to use) are not blocked by ad blocking software/plugins, because they're actually part of the website, as opposed to traditional "popups" or "popunders" which are separate browser windows.

But yeah, it's true: If the user had some hardcore security settings it might stop the popover from showing. And since squeeze pages are just normal pages on a website, they're not blocked by anything. I wouldn't say they "fight" ad blocking, it just doesn't apply to them because they're pages.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

This topic was started on Aug 12, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.