Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Shared host or private host in Hostgator?

dinofly
Trust:

Shared host or private host in Hostgator?

I'm getting ready to purchase a Hostgator account and don't know if I should buy the shared or private hosting service. Will be flipping most of my sites and none are ecommerce. Any suggestions?
clarafaie
Trust:
VPS and dedicated servers are more expensive than shared hosting and if you will be flipping your websites, you do not really need the extra features provided with VPS and dedicated servers.
Shared hosting is the best option to start with. You can always upgrade later if you find that you need more functionality, disk space, and bandwidth.
dinofly
Trust:
Thank you.
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Mark has written a blog on Hostgator's Shared Hosting. He doesn't actually recommend it. I hope you have time to read it:
A Warning About Hostgator Shared Hosting

Do read the comments on this blog since other Shared hosting services were recommended by Mark and other Affilorama members.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
I have to disagree with Michelle. And Mark for that matter.

The point Mark was trying to make is that when you're expecting a WHOLE LOT of really resource-intense traffic to your site (for instance when you're doing a launch or a promotion and you have 10,000 people on your list, etc) then you might want to be a little wary.

Happily for most regular-joe affiliates (or sadly, depending on your perspective) it is very, very rare that you're going to be in this situation.

Mark's point was that once you get to the stage where you're expecting this kind of activity... (And you'll KNOW when you're at this level. It's not just going to creep up on you.) then you should be looking at getting some more sturdy hosting. But you'll be making buttloads of cash by this stage so it won't matter.

We're not saying that we don't recommend HostGator shared hosting. We're saying don't get complacent once your site gets very big.

Mark should have known better :)
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

hans1804
Trust:
Like your post Aletta, "Mark should have known better " :-) And guess what this oh so human grumbling angry reaction makes him even more human and improves his "trustworthy rankings", with me anyway. Personally I don't trust people who always know better and never ever should have known better.

Guess we drifted away from the hosting issue, but that's the fun part of these conversations. Yet for me as an average guy a mistake and/or a grumpy reaction is so insanely recognizable that from a marketing point of view it's a winner. LOL could he be marketing when he's not marketing :-)

Hans
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
I just upgraded to reseller account. this allows you to set up unique IP adresses for each of your sites, it works on shared hosting i believe, but it is great if you are setting up multiple niche sites all interlinking with each other. I have several blogs set up that link my different sites together, and it has helped my rankings as well as giving me the opportunity to build up my authority in the niche, yet target specific problems at the same time..
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

This topic was started on Feb 23, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.