Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Robots meta tag

elmo033057
Trust:

Robots meta tag

Dear Affilo-Buds and Budettes,

Can someone tell me the significance of this meta tag?

<meta name="robots" content="ALL" />

I just want to know if I need this for my SEO.

God Bless & Flame On!!

ELMO :mrgreen:
Mark Ellis a.k.a. "ELMO" Owner Ellistrations http://www.ellistrations.com

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
You don't really need that. It just tells spiders to view everything.

Adrian,
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
If you don't really know what you're doing, it's best to forget about robot tags as one small syntax error and your page might not be able to be spidered.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
The content="ALL" part of the robots meta-tag is shorthand for content="index,follow" which means "index this page" and "follow links on this page".

You don't need to specify this in your meta-tags since they do all this by default anyway.

If you don't want the search engines to index your page, you change it to "noindex". If you don't want them to follow links on your page, you enter "nofollow". If you don't want them to index your page or follow your links, you can save a few characters of code by using the shorthand: 'content="NONE"'.

I would only bother with this tag if I didn't want search engines indexing the page or following links. Otherwise you can ditch it.

Regards,
Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

elmo033057
Trust:
Dear Affilo-Buds Markling, Adrian and Sean06,

Thanks so much for your awesome responses to my robot tag question, I really appreciate the help.

Listen, I am trying to decide whether or not I should do my next site in HTML or CSS. Which is best for SEO or does it really matter? I am much more familiar with HTML and do understand CSS some, but am not sure which way to go.

Thanks again my Affilo-Buds!

God Bless,

Flame-On!

PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
You can do a whole site in CSS?

I don't know much about the subject, but I'm pretty sure CSS just helps you specify styles throughout your site.

HTML is the code needed to actually lay the site out.

I've been working on a new site, that I did in php, using a CSS style sheet.
www.SixDayWeekend.com

elmo033057
Trust:
Sean06,

Actually my Affilo-Bud, you are quite correct. You can only set up your pages with CSS however, I just downloaded a template and it seems like 60% of it was CSS. There was very little HTML in there. The CSS page had as much code as the HTML part did. It was very confusing because there were several different layers in there.

I messed around with it quite a bit but I don't know how to use some of it. I think I'm just going to just use CSS to set up my fonts and headers. i like being able to manipulate my pages better and easier in HTML. Although, from what I have seen CSS does save you alot of Data space.

Oh, well if anyone else wants to weigh in on this, I'd appreciate the opinions of my fellow Affilo-Buds and Budettes.

God Bless and FLAME-ON

PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Yeh, that's way over my head :)
www.SixDayWeekend.com

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
elmo033057 wrote:Sean06,

Actually my Affilo-Bud, you are quite correct. You can only set up your pages with CSS however, I just downloaded a template and it seems like 60% of it was CSS. There was very little HTML in there. The CSS page had as much code as the HTML part did. It was very confusing because there were several different layers in there.

I messed around with it quite a bit but I don't know how to use some of it. I think I'm just going to just use CSS to set up my fonts and headers. i like being able to manipulate my pages better and easier in HTML. Although, from what I have seen CSS does save you alot of Data space.

Oh, well if anyone else wants to weigh in on this, I'd appreciate the opinions of my fellow Affilo-Buds and Budettes.

God Bless and FLAME-ON

They were probably using CSS for positioning with layers and div IDs. I don't recommend that for you lol If you can learn basic CSS for styling and HTML for layout - you are ok :)

Adrian,
elmo033057
Trust:
Affilo-Bud Adrian,

Thanks again for your comments. I am only using certain elements of CSS for no. Actually, CSS can be like a programing code and I have seen reams of it that tells a page everything to do.

However, my next site is looking pretty slick and I'm mostly using CSS for type and headers right now.

Anyone out there know where I can get a script that will allow some one to click on a button and send the article to a friend or click on a button and it will print the article?

Thanks for the help!

Flame On!!
Elmo :mrgreen:

freekdl
Trust:
Don't know about a script, but if you use the Geeklog content management system, you have those two options & a lot more
like a forum, member zone...
People can also post messages, comments on your site.

You can get geeklog for free at www.geeklog.net
elmo033057
Trust:
freekdl,

Thanks so much for your response on my query concerning meta tags and forums. I went to Geeklog but did not understand what it was for or what it did exactly. I really appreciate the help but if it doesn't tell me in basic moron language which I am fluent at, then I will not understand it.

Anyway, my Affilo-Bud I really appreciate your help.

God Bless!

Flame-On!