Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Question - Using Joomla to Upgrade my Site

stevenar
Trust:

Question - Using Joomla to Upgrade my Site

How do upgrade your static site to a community site using Joomla?

I've looked for some tutorials online and most of them just went over how to create a community site using the default template that came with Joomla. Can't find anything that will help me :\
cchhita
Trust:
Hi Stevenar,

I create all my sites in Joomla, and it has a very flexible templating system.

Ok here is a few tips:
I use Dreamweaver to create all my Joomla Templates from scratch!
Firstly you will need to learn how the module and menu systems work in Joomla. The best way is to play around with joomla, and go to the official Joomla forums and ask lots of questions.

http://forum.joomla.org/

Also, go through the default Joomla templates and break it up into pieces, and learn how they work (though some are quite complex).

Once you learn how Joomla Works, Check out this tutorial:
*broken link removed*

This is the tutorial I used to first learn how to create templates for Joomla.
It may be a bit harder for you if you dont have Dreamweaver (because the Joomla Dreamweaver Extention will make your life SOOO much easier!).

What I do personally is create a very basic shell template (using Div tags throughout your code). I then style my sites by using CSS.

If you are proficient with CSS (Cascading Style Sheets), you can basically create any design you can think of.

I have setup a demo website for people on this forum to have a go at the Joomla CMS. You are more than welcome to look at this site and look at the default template - I have created this template, so you can see how it is done.

(broken link removed)

Admin URL:
(broken link removed)
Username: admin
Password: admin

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away, I am more than happy to help!

Cheers
Chirag
Last edited by michellerana on 01 Feb 10 2:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: broken links removed

stevenar
Trust:
Hello Chirag! Thank you very much for the help. I do have Dreamweaver so thats good.

Thanks a lot for the info! I guess i have a lot of learning to do today and I'll probably be back to ask you some question lol.
cchhita
Trust:
Not a problem!
If you want any help with Joomla, let me know! If you want help with AM, ask Mark and the Admins - I am still a Master in training!

Cheers