Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Publishing sites - Google/Yahoo/Search Engine descriptions?

cmamystery
Trust:

Publishing sites - Google/Yahoo/Search Engine descriptions?

ok, so after i publish a site...and maybe i missed this in the videos, so pardon my lack of knowledge, but where do you put the information for the description of the site when people find it in the search engines? for instance, affiloramas description in google is

Make Money Online with Affiliate Programs. Affilorama helps you in making money online with affiliate programs and make money fast online. You can make money at home online through our affiliate ...

and yahoo its

Affilorama Affiliate Guide
Affilorama teaches people how to make money online with affiliate programs.

hmm..why is it different? now i am totally confused. can you please help my figure this out, because my site is nowhere to be seen.

thanx

i do apologize if this is a dumb question, i'm just tryin to figure it out :cry:
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
The text that displays is completely up to the whims of the search engine. They can choose whatever text from your page that they feel is relevant to the search query, which is why you might get different descriptive text for the same site when you search for it with different keywords.

You can put a description in the meta description tag at the top of your page, and occasionally that will get used. The first example for Affilorama is the our meta description text. You can't always bet on this showing, though.

Hope that clears things up,
Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

cmamystery
Trust:
thanks for the prompt reply Mark..well appreciated!

So I have a question again then, lol, what if the one page only has an image? How does the search engine no what to put then?

Also, another site is linking to my site, but my site still doesn't show up in the search engines...Is it because it's still new? I only put it up about 4 days ago, and there is some text in it, but mostly a big background pic until I figure out how the heck to properly use dreamweaver..
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
If you don't have any text, meta tags or anything, I don't see how there is anything for the search engines to put in, that's why we use title tags etc.

And google will show only a small % of inbound links. Just the way they do things. And it does take a while before the link will be picked up by search engines.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

cmamystery
Trust:
thanks sean, for clearing that up!!

does it help to name your images according to the page? Because keywords can be optimized differently for different pages right?

By the way, it was a long time since I posted it, but i was the one in need for butt kicking (as i'm sure we all are) and well, i'm slowly but surely getting my momentum going!..thanks for u'r help guys. sorry for some of the silly newbie questions but I am really happy that you're responding so fast without making too much fun of me! :P

seema
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Yeh, it might help a little bit if you name your images appropriately.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world