Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

problem signing up for domain and hosting

rubanz
Trust:

problem signing up for domain and hosting

I don't understand:

I try to purchase a domain name from godaddy but they need nameservers

I attempt to purchase hosting from hostgator to get nameservers so I can then purchase domain, but they need domain name for me to purchase hosting!

ayeyayae!

what am I missing here?

p.s. I absolutely want hosting from hostgator and domain from godaddy
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Hmm. Can you not just use Godaddy's default nameservers to begin with? I don't remember having to provide nameservers when I bought a domain name from them, and I have no problems buying domain names from other companies without providing nameservers.

Try contacting support for Hostgator and seeing if it's possible to set up a site without having a domain first. I'm sure it's possible, and I reckon their support will be quicker to respond than GoDaddy. You can use the "live chat" function to get a pretty quick answer.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

mitchpowell
Trust:
Yeah, what Aletta said.

GoDaddy shouldn't need nameservers during the initial signup, as they will "hold" or "park" your domain name in the hopes that you'll stay with their hosting. I guess if they insist, then choose theirs temporarily.

HostGator shouldn't need a domain name, but if they do, give them the name of the one you registered at GoDaddy, even if it hasn't fully processed yet.

I can't quite figure out where you are in this process. I always register my domain names at 1 & 1, then wait a while before I'm able to set the nameserver settings to my HostGator or other hosting accounts. Once those are set, I then go over to the primary account at HostGator or [other] and do a 'Add On' domain, and wait about a day for that to resolve.

Good luck. Go with HostGator chat. Say Hi! to NicoleZe for me!

Mitch
Totally Cool Geometric Christmas Ornaments
www.free-craft-downloads.com

rubanz
Trust:
yeah I thought parked meant having to host with them...man but that site has so many offers like being thrown at you there's fine print everywhere I felt like I was chopping my way through a thick jungle. I was tired of being on the computer almost all day just not used to it and that frustrated me.
thanks for answering
and ill be sure to give NicoleZe your regards. If I ever chat there. Which is not likely. Unless I have to because I'm new to this stuff. But thanks for advice, always good to know. Oh Aletta you are SO cool.
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Oh Aletta you are SO cool.

I know, I know. :)
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/