Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Need some help with redirect from domain name

jtaylor101
Trust:

Need some help with redirect from domain name

Mark,
My question is about redirecting traffic from a domain name to an affiliate site. I have purchased a domain name at godaddy.com and have set it up to redirect to an affiliate site hosted at clickbank. Is there any way to monitor the amount of traffic that is going through my domain. I would like to know how many clicks are going to the affiliate site through my domain so that I can see which marketing techniques, ads, etc. are working?
Thanks,
John
PremiumMember
belgian
Trust:
To know how much traffic is going to a specific landing-page or website you can use Statcounter.com

It gives you the exact amount of visitors, returning visitors, IP address, country....and it's free.

But there is also web/ftp statistics on your hosting if you have a cpanel in which you have access with username and password.

Some of the statistics can be found in awstats , webalizer.

And I think webalizer already tells you enough about the traffic to your domain.

Just check out the cpanel in your hosting account.

belgian
Discover digital photography

jtaylor101
Trust:
Hi Belgian,
Thanks for the terrific information. I use statcounter on my domains that have hosting and it works great. For this domain name I have neither a webpage or hosting. I purchased the domain name for the purpose of only redirecting it to the affiliate site. I wanted to do this so that if I use adwords, etc. the domain name that appears will look more legitamate and hopefully get more clicks than if I only used the affiliate name which is to long (my opinion) and may deter customers from clicking on it. I didn't know if there is a way to track clicks with only having a domain name with no landing page or website.

Thanks,
John
jandrew
Trust:
Hi John,

You could use statcounter if you did an html redirect rather
than a server redirect, but it would need a delay and that
might cause issues with some potential customers.

Every request to your server is logged though and should
be visible through the reporting tools mentioned above
because they parse the server log.

HTH

Cheers,
J Andrew Morrison