Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Meta Tags not discussed in the Blog Bootcamp

green6771
Trust:

Meta Tags not discussed in the Blog Bootcamp

Hi Guys,
I noted in the blog bootcamp that Mark did not use tags. I am wondering why. I'm also wondering if the use of tags gives our keywords away too easily. Am I being paranoid? Probably. I'd love someone's thoughts on this.

Cheers,

Jesse
Last edited by michellerana on 26 Jan 10 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: improve title to describe the post better

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Google has stopped using the meta keyword tags in the late 1990's since spammers have been stuffing this box with keywords that are not relevant to their sites. It is a good idea to fill in the meta description tags though since the text that you put there are displayed on the search listings.

The posts on this thread will also give you more information on meta tags: Are Meta Tags Really Dead

For information on How to Edit a Meta Description in WordPress, please read through this thread.

green6771 wrote:I'm also wondering if the use of tags gives our keywords away too easily

The keywords on the meta keyword tags will not be displayed on the search listings or when your page is viewed through a browser. Only the meta description tag is seen on the search results.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

green6771
Trust:
OK Michelle. Now sorry to sound dumb about this but I just want to be crystal clear. Am i correct in thinking that when we post an article into wordpress as part of our blog (like Mark in the blogging bootcamp) we just select the category and then complete the boxes in the "all in one seo" plugin section at the bottom of the page and we don't worry about completing the tags section in Wordpress. As far as my remark about paranoia goes, it was mainly due to the presence of a tag cloud and whether or not it gave away your key words to passers by.
Thanks so much.
Jesse
faradina
Trust:
green6771 wrote:Am i correct in thinking that when we post an article into wordpress as part of our blog (like Mark in the blogging bootcamp) we just select the category and then complete the boxes in the "all in one seo" plugin section at the bottom of the page and we don't worry about completing the tags section in Wordpress

Yes, Jesse, you are correct :)
mack45
Trust:
You can get an auto tagger plug in from word press. I have used it and it seems all good.
Pro at basic WP and keyword research willing to [email protected]

This topic was started on Jan 26, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.