Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Looking for help on how to monetize my site

jmatheson
Trust:

Looking for help on how to monetize my site

I'm really REALLY new to this whole affiliate marketing thing, but I thought I would give it a shot. I think I understand the gist (if that's how you spell it) of what I have to do, but I'm in a rut.
I started making a website reviewing World of Warcraft guides (leveling, gold-making, etc.) because I'm familiar with the game and I wanted to see if one can actually make money like this. I chose a review site because that was what I was most comfortable with and I think I understand it the best.
I went into the Clickbank marketplace, took all of the links for the leveling guides, researched them and put a review for each one on the site with my affiliate link.
I wanted to wait and see if there would be any response before I spent my time on reviewing the other guides, but so far I have nothing.
I've posted in forums and responded to Youtube videos dropping my sites name, but I just don't know what to do because nothing is happening.
Can anybody give me some advice?
The website is http://www.wowguidereports.weebly.com
Please help me.
Last edited by michellerana on 16 Apr 10 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: improve title to describe the post better

faradina
Trust:
You haven't done much work on the site. "Coming soon" is a big turn off for site visitors. You need to have more content and more pages so that the site does not look half-baked.
What's more is that you should not be building your site using a service such as weebly. It just doesn't come across as professional and authoritative.
jmatheson
Trust:
I'm using Weebly because I don't have the money to buy my own domain right now. Is there another service out there that is more professional and free? I would be more than happy to switch it up.
jpastorizo
Trust:
The free ones are usually filled with tons of ads bro. If I am in your situation I would rather build a site through blogger and just review individual guides and insert links within the posts. Blogger is one of the easiest to rank in google especially if you have the exact keyword phrase in the domain. Say your main keyword is "wow gold guides" then it would be best if you can get a blogger url as wowgoldguides.blogspot.com I know this doesnt answer your question directly but I do hope this helps you.
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

faradina
Trust:
I personally have not tried this free hosting service and I do not know how it will measure up but they say that they do not put in ads or banners on the site you host with them. You can give this a try, caveat emptor:

http://freehostia.com/free-chocolate.html

However, that does not solve the domain name problem. You'll definitely have to invest in a domain name. It's about US$10 a year. At Namecheap they throw in a year of free whois protection with your domain registration. And you can search for Namecheap discount coupons and promo codes to get discounts for your domain registration.
Site Admin
mikeantiga
Trust:
You may also try 000webhost.com if you want free hosting service. I personally have not yet tried this web host so I don't have an idea on their uptime and support quality. You might also consider having a paid hosting service. There is a lot of cheap web hosting companies that offers one year package with one year free domain registration, unlimited hosting space (let's you host unlimited websites) with the price of less than $50/year.
Want lessons on Affiliate Marketing, SEO and Content Creation? Get them here for FREE:
http://www.affilorama.com/lessons

Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Hosting costs, like, $4/month.
A domain costs $10/year.

You can even use services like Wordpress.com or Tumblr.com to host and publish your site, then use your own domain name to mask it all. You'll have a little link to the service on your page, but it's not such a biggie.

That's not really your biggest problem though. It seems like you just don't really know how to get started building an affiliate site. You need to do things like keyword research and start building backlinks (through sites that aren't nofollowed), and also learn how to monetize your site correctly.

AffiloBlueprint is a really good step-by-step course that'll show you all this, but it's $197. Perhaps you could start by taking a serious look around at all the other affiliate sites in your niche, and see what those guys are doing to promote the products.

We've got some good free lessons here in the Introduction section on how to recognize affiliate sites, and spot how they're making money. Take a look at those to get started.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

slvrsrfr
Trust:
Some folks have had success with HubPages and Squidoo lenses. But the biggest problem as others have said, is to have a good site up whether free or hosted and build backlinks.

YouTube and forum posting are not good links in my book.

Also, I'd choose a different email address too. This one in no way engenders goodwill towards your readers and visitors.

[email protected]
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Also, I'd choose a different email address too. This one in no way engenders goodwill towards your readers and visitors.
[email protected]

Oh my goodness. That is priceless!

That's the closest I've come to LOLing in quite some time.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

jcdean
Trust:
It reminds me alot of my first site.
Don't give up.

Use a Blogger Blog if you can't afford hosting. I see blogger blogs listed higher than Squidoo or other such free hosting.

Try and write plenty of articals with long tail keywords to bring you traffic.

This is just me, some here would disagree but it is far better to post an artical on your own site than some where else in hopes it brings you traffic.

Spin your articals if you want backlinks.

You will need alot more content and pictures.
Respect,
JC Dean

wollowra
Trust:
Hi JM,
Everyone has given you some good advise above and I hope it helps.
Blogger and wordpress are your best bet and you can make some money off that site but you will need to learn more about how to make that money first.
If you do not have just $10 for a domain name then you really need to learn how to drive traffic to a blogger or wordpress blog.
You need the right Keywords and some good solid content that is highly relevant.
That will be the key to you earning your first $10 online and to buy yourself a domain name and eventually something like the Affiloblueprint course that will teach you how to build a site from scratch and how to make money with it.
Read and learn from the good people here. :)

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

This topic was started on Apr 13, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.