Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Index of /

redritz
Trust:

Index of /

Hi,

I am not exactly sure what I have done but when I go to open my website I get this message "Index of /". Then I believe is a list of all my files on my site. I did mess around in my Filezilla if that helps. Can someone please help me or direct me where I am supposed to go for help?

Thanks,
Red
PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
Red,

The most common cause of this issue is not having the "default" file. Usually, this file is "index.html" or "index.php" (or some other similar variation), but sometimes this might vary. It sounds like you have either moved or renamed this file.

Grady
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

redritz
Trust:
gradyp wrote:Red,

The most common cause of this issue is not having the "default" file. Usually, this file is "index.html" or "index.php" (or some other similar variation), but sometimes this might vary. It sounds like you have either moved or renamed this file.

Grady

Thanks for getting back to me so quick! Ok, I profess, I did delete the default file. Now, how do I go about getting it back?

Thank You,
Red
PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
You may have to reinstall wordpress in that case.
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

redritz
Trust:
Thanks Grady. It worked! Your a great help around here and I for one appreciate it!
PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
Glad I could help :D

Just remember, index.(whatever extension) is the default (in most cases) file that is needed so that if someone were to use the "folder" (Main or otherwise) without specifying a specific file, it will pull a page rather than the index.

Note I said in most cases. A few rare servers may have this as default.(extension here), but I think the index.(extension here) file is the more common one these days. And as to the extensions, it is usually looking for .htm, .html, .php, or some other similar "executable" (within the context of web pages) extension.

(All that is really to say as long as you have an index.htm, index.html, or index.php file, you are usually safe ;)

Grady

Site Admin
mikeantiga
Trust:
Just want to add that you can actually configure your preferred index file by adding the following line to your .htaccess file:

The code above directs the server to load the only 'index.php' file so even if you have an index.html file in the same directory, the server will just show the index.php. This particularly applies to the Premium Hosting where a blank index.html is automatically created when you setup a domain name. This causes the website to give a blank page even if you've already uploaded the website files to the server. Remember that if you have two index files in your public_html (e.g. index.php and index.html), the server will choose load index.html first (this is the default setting on almost all web hosts). Adding the code above will tell the server which file to look for when the domain is accessed.

Another solution is to set the order of your index files by adding the code below:

The second code tells the server to display the 'index.php' file as the directory index, and if this file is not available then display 'index.html', and so on. You can put an 'under maintenance' notice in the index.html so that if ever your index.php got deleted for some reason, your visitors won't see a page not found 404 or a directory list of your website files.
Want lessons on Affiliate Marketing, SEO and Content Creation? Get them here for FREE:
http://www.affilorama.com/lessons

This topic was started on Jan 30, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.