Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

How to force a download of pdf?

435pjjau251
Trust:

How to force a download of pdf?

Not sure if this is in the right section, as I don't know how to begin doing it!

I have several pdfs on my site which I sell using Paypal. I am currently emailing them out on payment, but it's not a very efficient system, so I'm going to use the redirect feature on Paypal to send the buyer to a page with a link to the pdf.

I then want to have a button or link for the buyer to click to download the pdf to their own computer, rather than have the pdf opening up in the browser.

I guess html won't do this? PHP? Javascript? Anybody got a simple script/link where I can copy and paste some simple code?
essexboyracer
Trust:
I think a lot of this is down to browser preferences, how to handle mime types. I would give simple directions such as , "right mouse button and save target as". If you're really bothered try dynamicdrive.com or http://www.google.com/search?q=jquery+f ... f+download
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
I always save mine into a compressed zip file. then they just download the zip file and extract the pdf doccument.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

thel.online.ph
Trust:
Hi,

As I research in internet to find some suitable solution, I found these finest tricks on how to force a download a pdf. – by adding the following code into your httaccess file.

FilesMatch "\.(pdf|PDF)"
ForceType application/pdf
Header set Content-Disposition attachment
</FilesMatch>

The code will match perfectly for both lower case and upper case PDF extension by using regular expression and OR operator in the following line.

<FilesMatch "\.(pdf|PDF)">

And thats it… You have now the control in Forcing PDF to download.

Hope that helps

This topic was started on Aug 05, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.