Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

How to delete a page that google has indexed.

PremiumMember
gibowetz
Trust:

How to delete a page that google has indexed.

Hi everyone,

When I check which of my pages are indexed on Google, at the top of the list is a page that says "Sorry, no posts matched your criteria".

Is this a problem and if so how can I delete this error page?

Also, can someone explain to me what is a '404' Document Not Found error?

Thank you for your help in advance!
faradina
Trust:
Did you submit your site to google webmaster central? If yes, you can request the removal of the indexed URL through google webmaster tools. Go to Site configuration > Crawler access, click the Remove URL tab, then click the New removal request button and follow the prompts.
If you did not submit your site to google webmaster central then you can try the public URL removal tool on https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/removals
When you encounter a '404' Document Not Found error, it means that the page to which the URL points to does not exist (the URL may be incorrect) or no longer exists on the server (the webpage has been deleted).
PremiumMember
gibowetz
Trust:
Thanks Faradina for your quick reply.

I am pretty sure I submitted the site to webmaster central so will try that way.

In regards to the 404 error, do I need to do anything to fix or remove it? I only know about it from finding it on my hostgator c-panel.

Thanks again.
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Can you see which page is referring the 404?

You get 404 errors when people try to access a page that doesn't exist. Sometimes they click a broken link on your website, but sometimes it might be people trying to type the URL directly into their address bar, or it might be some sort of automated spam thing hitting random pages on your site, or it might be other sites linking to your site with incorrect addresses.

If it's a broken link on your site, then fix up that link.

If it's because you've got a broken URL showing up in the search engines, you can either do what Fara suggested, or learn how to do a 301 redirect from that "nonexistent" page to another page.

If it's just one page showing up once, then I wouldn't worry about it. This is the kind of thing that can end up sucking a whole lot of your time, when it probably isn't even so important.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

tdigitty
Trust:
@Aletta - Is it advantageous to redirect a 404 page to your home page, or provide a custom 404 page with useful info about your site or products? I've read differing viewpoints on this and would like to know your thoughts.

This topic was started on May 20, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.