Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

How to change from redirect to landing page?

Trust:

How to change from redirect to landing page?

Hi folks

I bought a .info domain months and months ago, which I just have redirecting to the merchant page. What I want to do now is make a web page for that .info (an "Affiloblueprint" type page). But I don't want to lose potential sales in the meantime by sending them to a page that is "under construction". I just want to be able to create the web page at my leisure, then "flip the switch" when it's ready to go.

How do I go about doing this?

Thanks...
"Some people say I've got a problem with authority, so what if I do man, it beats relinquishing control"- NOFX

Trust:
Really? I can't believe this has everyone stumped! Surely somebody knows how to go about doing this?
"Some people say I've got a problem with authority, so what if I do man, it beats relinquishing control"- NOFX

wollowra
Trust:
Hi,
You will need to create a folder or page in your directory with a forward slash like http://www.sitename.com/affiliateedirect
you can use the code maker here at affilorama https://www.affilorama.com/free-tools/redirect-generator

you can also have a look at this post...
post63247.html?hilit=affiliate%20redirect#p63247

If this is confusing for you... just go to somewhere like fiverr.com or elance and get someone to create a redirect for you.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

Trust:
Thanks for the reply Troy, but I think that "I" may have confused "you" lol....maybe that's why nobody was replying?

I bought a domain name to use in places such as EzineArticles, who don't let you have affiliate links. So the domain I bought is redirecting people to the merchant page.

What I want to do NOW, is....instead of just redirecting people, I want to actually make a website for the domain that I bought (that is currently just redirecting people to the merchant page).

What I DON'T want is any down time while I am making this website. I just want to work on it leisurely and "flip the switch", so one minute it is a redirect, the next minute it is a complete website. Working on the site may take me some time, and I have made some sales, so the less down time the better. I guess I basically want to make a web site (an "Affiloblueprint" type Wordpress site) without having a domain, then "attach" the domain to it later.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks!

wollowra
Trust:
Oh I see.
Not really sure on that one.
My outsource guy just usually builds a site on a temp domain and then when the site is built, he uploads everything to the other domain.
Because you are forwarding the domain to a merchant page..I am not sure if you can do it.

Anyone else know?

Like I said, you may have to go to an outsourcer to do it if you are not building this yourself.
If you are using xsitepro it is easy because you always see a site without publishing it first.
If you use wordpress then I suppose you can build it on a temp domain and then move it over...
Sorry..I don't do much techy stuff myself..that is why I outsource..lol
Hope you get it sorted.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

greg_591
Trust:
I have been doing the same case of using a redirect while creating websites. The redirect is written on an HTML index file. (ex. index.html). So as long as you do not touch that file while creating the site, the redirect will still be in effect. If you plan to create an HTML yourself, just name your index file index2.html for example. In this way, If you are done with the website and want to "flip the switch" simply rename your redirect page from index.html to another file name like "indexold.html" then rename your new site index to index.html.

Installing wordpress is just as simple. Install wordpress manually by uploading them to your server. As long as you have your redirect file there, (index.html). You can then edit the site the same way and flipping the switch from this point is to rename or delete your index.html.

I hope this is the information you are looking for... Good day!
briensmith
Trust:
from your description, it sounds like right now you are taking all of the pagerank that the site for company A has accrued and are moving it all to the home page of company B. A landing page might have the benefit of allowing you to spread that pagerank around company B's site a bit, especially if you put the page on the domain for company A, replacing the home page.

Additionally, if company A's site was large and had a search engine friendly URL system, you could take advantage of that to both channel the old site's pagerank deep into the new site, and bring the visitors to more appropriate places than the homepage. A generic interstitial could be set up to detect what page on site A the visitor was trying to reach, and give the user the generic text and a list of options headed by the option to go to the closest match on site B.

Thanks

Computer Repairs
videovigilancia

This topic was started on May 14, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.