Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

How should I allocate links around my site?

seriousbusinessman
Trust:

How should I allocate links around my site?

I am about to start a site and I am unclear of how to spread my links around my site. Should I have most of my links go to my homepage, most of them go to my individual article and informational pages, or some of both? My goal is to rank well for the terms I'm optimizing in the article and informational pages. If I have lots of links to the main domain page will that help all the individual article pages or do I have to get links for each page individually to get them ranking well for their optimized search term? (for example, I have an article under "online poker tips" silo called "Bankroll management" and I want this page to rank well for that term "bankroll management.")
troy
Trust:
I am in the same boat regarding the links. Any help on this at all would be greatly appreciated.

Troy
gene0
Trust:
I hear a lot of people say the pyramid works well.

Say you site's home page is widgets.

Then have large, medium and small widgets links on your home page and have those pages link back to you to you home page.

Then on your large widget page have a link to large blue widgets and that page link back to your large widget page and your home page. And so on.

That is my thoughts but i am no expert.

Gene
Gene-0 bruteforcestudyguide.com "Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett, Discworld

seriousbusinessman
Trust:
when I say links i'm talking about traded links or links from other sites that will get me ranking higher in the search engines. how should i allocate those links from other sites throughout my site to do the best in the search engines for the number of links i have.
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
I get good rankings with this site if you want to see an example of how I do linking: http://www.dogobedienceadvice.com
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

crystal
Trust:
Hey Seriousbusinessman (and Troy too), I suggest you become a member of Affilorama and you will learn how to allocate links to your site, get high search engine rankings, and more!
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Uhhh, cheers for the sales pitch Crystal, but I reckon these guys are already members if they're posting on the forum ;)

As a general rule of thumb, we recommend that you try to get at least 30% of your incoming links pointing to your internal pages, rather than your homepage. Make sure you've grasped the concept of "pagerank funneling" as well so that your internal link structure is sound and you're not firing pagerank off to your "contact us" page or anything like that.

On a slightly related note, there's a really good backlink lesson in the new Traffic Travis newsletter series. It goes over at least 10 methods of getting backlinks and some strategies for structuring your links. It's a looooooong fella too (I had to edit the beast) and it's got some tips that I hadn't heard before, so if you haven't downloaded TT and started receiving those then I'd do so just for that lesson.

(Hah, guess that was a bit of a sales pitch too!)

Good luck kids,
Aletta
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

crystal
Trust:
Ooops, yeah, how could I forget :oops:

Well, it's just that, I have learned a lot for the past few days, being a new member and all. I think that internal linking was taught in one of the lessons or interviews done by Mark. So guys, just snoop around the member's page and I'm sure you will find what you're looking for.

Thanks Aletta, nice sales pitch too, by the way :wink: