Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

How Important is the Domain Name?

PremiumMember
sierracommerceco
Trust:

How Important is the Domain Name?

How important is the domain name in terms of SEO. Or is the actual content and keywords more important? I am assuming the latter, but just wanted to ask.

Thanks

Jason
Site Admin
jonathan_l
Trust:
Hey Jason,

It's really more important that the domain name is appealing to humans (generally a good rule for general SEO anyway); even if the domain has a huge impact on your rankings (which it doesn't - these days, anyway), like www.super-long-tail-domain.com, but puts off all your potential customers from clicking, then it's not really a good domain is it? :)

Of course, on the flipside, don't go choosing a domain which is clearly both terrible for SEO and humans...

So yes, your content and backlinking strategy are more important

You can read some excellent answers about not over-analyzing your domain on a related forum post here:
==> seo/domain-name-seo-t24445.html
PremiumMember
sierracommerceco
Trust:
I am new to the affiliate marketing, so forgive my ignorance. Bu here is my question: Is an affiliate website nothing more than a glorified blog? I mean, you are not really selling anything. You are just promoting products through links....correct?

We own a webstore which sells sporting accessories and want to add maybe some affiliate links to our site. And I can see doing a blog (which we do) about some type of nutritional supplement or a new work out program, or a weight loss system, and have our links attached to the blog. But to have a separate site that really doesn't have anything physical to sell is confusing me.

Please help this ignorant affiliate understand....
by the way....love the forum. Good stuff in here.

Jason
Sports Team Maniacs
PremiumMember
sierracommerceco
Trust:
Thanks. That makes sense. I just posted this on another category so I just copied it over here. Could you help me understand:

I am new to the affiliate marketing, so forgive my ignorance. Bu here is my question: Is an affiliate website nothing more than a glorified blog? I mean, you are not really selling anything. You are just promoting products through links....correct?

We own a webstore which sells sporting accessories and want to add maybe some affiliate links to our site. And I can see doing a blog (which we do) about some type of nutritional supplement or a new work out program, or a weight loss system, and have our links attached to the blog. But to have a separate site that really doesn't have anything physical to sell is confusing me.

Please help this ignorant affiliate understand....
by the way....love the forum. Good stuff in here.

Jason
Sports Team Maniacs
Site Admin
jonathan_l
Trust:
Hey Jason,

Pretty much! Affiliate Marketing is where you are basically pushing someone else's product, but it's different from (e.g.) an ecommerce store, because you don't actually handle the sale - that's up to the product owner; you just funnel customers through to the product's site, and get a commission for doing so.

You can integrate affiliate marketing into anything - in your case, you could definitely incorporate affiliate links as part of an existing blog, or throughout your store.

The reason you might think of affiliate marketing as a glorified blog is that, for completely new marketers, the most straightforward way to get started is with content marketing, and one of the easiest ways to do content marketing is by blogging or building an article site :)

However, there's lots of other ways, and all sorts of avenues to get success, each with their own degrees of difficulty and 'right ways to do things'. For example
- If you have a Twitter/Facebook following, you could funnel people to product sites through links in your posts/tweets
- Doing Youtube videos, with affiliate links in the video, in the annotations, or in the description
- Building your own article wiki on a niche topic, with links to relevant products
- Lots more!

So basically, the core of affiliate marketing is to promote someone else's product, and get a customer to buy *through you*. Everything else, including how to select those products, find those customers, get them to buy *through you*, can vary a lot, so teaching a 'working method' is really the core of Affilorama and our products. But, if you already own an ecommerce store, and have customers, you already have a head start :)

P.S. Found this post useful? Click thumbs up!
PremiumMember
sierracommerceco
Trust:
Thanks for the response. That helps. I guess my dilemma is whether or not to build a separate affiliate site with WordPress, or just stick with our store and utilize our following to promote other products. Do information sites do well? I thought Google looked down on those type of sites just looking for a quick buck, with no real product.

I guess I could see doing an information site with links back to my store and also links to the certain product we are promoting. As a sports team accessory store, we could easily promote weight loss, or healthy living type products on our site as well as our blog.

What about using a sub-domain to use as our affiliate site (information site)? Or does Google frown on that?

Thanks! Hope I'm not bugging you too much. I can see the huge benefit of affiliate marketing, so we just want to go about it the right way.

Jason
Site Admin
jonathan_l
Trust:
Hey Jason

"Thin" affiliate sites, with not a lot of useful information, do not fare so well these days, but sites with proper information or useful content for readers do just fine (if they didn't, we wouldn't be teaching you how to make them :) )

Whether to do affiliate marketing on your ecommerce store is really a business decision for you, and will come down to whether or not you think that a) your customers will tolerate the changes and/or b) whether it'll boost, or hurt, your bottom line.

Your idea about having an information site linking back to your ecommerce site isn't a bad idea and, even if you don't engage in affiliate marketing other products, a lot of the principles you learn about affiliate marketing could actually be applied to funnelling customers back to your ecommerce site from an information section (imagine you're just affiliate marketing for your own products :) )

Having said all that, definitely marketing related products is a good idea, and will probably work; just don't alienate your customers.

Regarding using a subdomain - Google won't frown, per se, but they may not see it as a distinct website from your main ecommerce site;
PremiumMember
sierracommerceco
Trust:
Cool...thanks. I think what I will do is to build an information site using Affilorama host (i just signed up for the premium package) and promote a health and fitness product from click bank and at the same time I will try and tie it back to my site.

But I will definitely throw a link or two on our site as I know this will not upset any of our customers.

We are also looking at private affiliate programs like GNC.com. They just do not pay as well.

Also, what are your thoughts on Ad-sense ads. Seems like a nice revenue stream when implemented properly.

Thanks for the info!
Site Admin
jonathan_l
Trust:
Answered, on Jason's other post in the 'Website Building' subforum:
==> website-building/domain-name-importance-t24826.html
Site Admin
jonathan_l
Trust:
Hey Jason,

There's a good topic starting up over here about Ad-Sense:
viewtopic.php?t=24812&p=104568#p104568

Maybe enquire in the thread :)
kallayprasanth05
Trust:
Yes, domain name plays a very significant role in SEO. At the same time you may have to bear in mind that domain names with prepositions like 'on', 'in', 'with', 'about', etc could be avoided for better treatment.

This topic was started on Jul 23, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.