Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

How important is a sitemap?

redlotus
Trust:

How important is a sitemap?

I am following the Blogging Bootcamp. How important is it that I get a sitemap on my site? Is it just as easy as uploading the Word Press plug in? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
PremiumMember
sybiantex
Trust:
A sitemap is very important as it helps Google to crawl your site. My plugin of choice for building a sitemap automatically is Google XML SItemaps generator.

After you activate the plugin, go to the plugin settings and click the link to go to Google Webmaster Tools. Log into Webmaster Tools, add your site...and then your sitemap.
PremiumMember
anthony69
Trust:
I have been told to wait until you have all your settings correct before building your sitemap so when Google appears then it hopefully sees your links in place, the correct format for permalinks, SEO etc. so it looks at you favourably rather than a blank site without any structure,

cheers

Anthony
redlotus
Trust:
Excellent. Thank for the feedback. Last question (maybe!) My site is "finished" but I still have pages & blogs I plan to add. Does the sitemap update automatically?
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
The plugin automatically updates your sitemap when you make changes to your site :)
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

redlotus
Trust:
Thanks. Man, I love Word Press!
mack45
Trust:
Hi great thread I just did mine only I used the simple site map and it also seems to work fine the only trouble I had was I did not put the code snippet in the HTML editor first try and then check so it took a few trys. I am sure it updates it self I did not have to enter anything.
Pro at basic WP and keyword research willing to [email protected]

This topic was started on Feb 06, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.