Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

How does web hosting and building/maintaining a site work?

PremiumMember
revimp
Trust:

How does web hosting and building/maintaining a site work?

Ok, here is my problem. I want to do what Mark suggests as far as making an article website. I am having some articles written and we will see how that goes.I know I will have to re-write them for keyword density etc. What I am totally unsure of is the actual web host arrangement and if I have to have software to make the website or if I should go with a provider that has a "builder". So far my experience this past year has been with a provider with a builder. I am not opposed to learning how to do the whole thing,but I am confused as to how that works. I build it at home and can upload and change things as I want,whenever I want? All of the files are on my computer? Can someone give me a short (or long) tutorial on the subject of building and maintaining a site,or tell me where to go to read about it?also a recommendation between dreamweaver,xsite pro,frontpage,or any others? thanks so much,Bill
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
G'day Bill,

Uploading and managing a website isn't too difficult if you've been around computers for a while.

I'll give you an example of how your folder setup is.

So there is one folder with all your files in it. Inside that folder is another bunch of folders, maybe they're called images, part1, part2, whatever.

This is just a way of organising stuff. The folders will be seen on the web as
    http://www.yoursite.com/foldername
etc.

And yes, as you make changes, you need to upload the files you changed, otherwise your website won't be current.

Is this what you were asking?

I've only used frontpage and dreamweaver myself. I found frontpage easy to use at the start, but now I'm used to dreamweaver, I prefer using it. If you already have microsoft office and don't want to spend anymore $$$$, frontpage will do the job.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Remember I rushed up the 90 day plan due to requests, but I am still to record the other tutes that I promised next week. There will be tutes on how to build a site in xsitepro, and also how to upload a website.

This should clear those issues up for you.

You can make a start by purchasing xsitepro and following their video tutorials, or just wait for my tutes. Dreamweaver is great too, just more expensive.

Regards,
Mark

p.s. don't worry, it's not too difficult.
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

PremiumMember
revimp
Trust:
thansk fro your replies.I find that once I understand the concept,the rest is much easier.And Mark,if you have time,can yu look at my other posts?thanks so much.I am especially interested in your ideas regarding my landing pages.

http://www.revelationimports.com/

*broken link*

*broken link*
Last edited by michellerana on 26 Feb 10 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove broken link

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Revimp,

Yes, I'll reply via video by the end of Tuesday.

My fiance is arriving today from Aussie, I haven't seen her in a month (what with me being away and all in the UK and her in Aussie), so I might be tied up for a couple of days:)

I will get back to you with a good reply,

All the best,

Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

PremiumMember
revimp
Trust:
thanks very much.I am watching the 90 plan now and I am looking forward to hosting with you whne you get that going.I am also very interested in Brett Mc Fall.I have learned so much in a short time.Now we will see if I can make some money.thanks for doing this.I have found no one else doing this the way that you are.Bill
PremiumMember
tino
Trust:
Hi Bill,

I also recommend going with xSitePro. Dream Weaver is a great tool. If you plan on being a Website designer for a living it's the best.

But if you just plan on making some sites for yourself and you don't already know how to use Dream Weaver I think xSitePro is a better choice. It is designed for marketers and helps you to build search engine optimized sites quickly. It's also easier to learn and half the price DreamWeaver.

The video tutorials you get with xSitePro are fantastic. They make it pretty easy for a beginner to be up and running quickly. I'd say this along with Mark's upcoming video's on how to make xSitePro sites using his tricks and techniques make xSitePro a good choice.

John T
PremiumMember
tino
Trust:
MarkLing wrote:
My fiance is arriving today from Aussie, I haven't seen her in a month so I might be tied up for a couple of days:)

Mark

:shock: Kinky :lol:

John T