Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

How do you remove the background from images

nates450r
Trust:

How do you remove the background from images

Plain and simple as the title say's

example: i have a basic image with a white background i want to remove the white background and keep the image so i can add the image to any background i want (like for designing headers)

can this be done? i use paintshop pro XI-- and if i remember correctly i noticed a remove background option but im not quite sure how to use it.

thanks, Nate
nates450r
Trust:
ok i figured out how to remove the background--(for a test) there was a picure of a person standing i removed the landscape behind the person and saved it as a GIF file.

then i opened xheader set the header background color to black and placed the the picture on the header-----but it is a white back ground still it only removed the landscape-- what im i missing?? lol
nates450r
Trust:
ok it works some what now im still learning but i had to go to export as jpeg file and not save.

wow thanks for all your help guys :)) lol
faradina
Trust:
I am not really very good at graphics, but from what I know you will have to save as gif if you want the background to be transparent.
nates450r
Trust:
ya i tried that but it did not work for me, i saved it as jpeg and it worked fine. "i dont know, im still new at this graphics thing lol"
stormyuk
Trust:
If you want to have a transparent background, you should be using the PNG format. GIFs are not as good at rendering large numbers of colours (like you typically find in a photograph). PNGs are great at it.

Liz
nates450r
Trust:
Thanks Liz i will try that as well
nates450r
Trust:
Liz thanks that worked also i can (save as-PNG file)
and no longer need to export.
rudolf55
Trust:
Jpg/Jpeg files don't support any transparency so it will always add a white background. PNG is recommended as it maintains a lot of the original quality where as GIF supports only up to 256 colours (really, this is low), but .GIF is your only option if you want to create an animation with transparency. Unless you're good with Flash, a .SWF will do great, low file size and high quality, though making it clickable requires a bit of coding knowledge in Flash. That should help!
stormyuk
Trust:
Glad to be of help, Nates450r . . .

This topic was started on Feb 28, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.